coho21

Check this plane out!!

Jah, some co-workers were remarking on that today.

My only question was "Klingon or Romulan?" :D

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Considering the "better-cheaper-faster" mantra of the air force these days, I doubt it even has an ejection seat.

The press release says it was fully funded by Boeing. This isn't a new plane, it's one they're done with. Sure makes ya curious what they're keeping secret now though!

Dave

Considering the "better-cheaper-faster" mantra of the air force these days, I doubt it even has an ejection seat.

The press release says it was fully funded by Boeing. This isn't a new plane, it's one they're done with. Sure makes ya curious what they're keeping secret now though!

Dave

I have always wondered about things like that, hell the Have Blue project (ie the F-117 stealth fighter) made its maiden voyage in '78 or'79 and the Tacit Blue project (B-2 Stealth Bomber) first flew in '82-'83 and the general populace did not learn of them until Desert Shield/Desert Storm, in '88-'89. It does make you wonder.

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Hey Dave, I like the Commache there. That was the alternative to what they were trying for=STING BAT. Three blades,each 3 sections and curved(quoted as stealth). No tail rotor of any type, the tail boom was an air tube with vents on one side with thrust from "inducted turbine" at main fusalage.
The curved blades should cause alot of stress on the blades themselves but it would stop tip vortex(burrble) from shaking at lower forward speeds. We used tappered/sweep ended blades to help that (small heli=bigger shake)

yeah, definitely makes a person wonder. I heard somewhere that all the cool top secret technology that eventually trickles down to the public generally takes about 30 years to get from secret to public. The secrets must be something else these days.

Truman Sparks for President

Many of these test projects are. I used to work for Lockheed Martin and tested products by Boeing, so I have some experience with both companies. Many of the efforts these days are fully funded by the companies, but the details of cost, materials, etc are divulged to the customer (i.e. Air Force) and the point is to prove to the customer that you can do things faster and cheaper than the competition.
I did look closer at the pic, though, and I think it does have an ejection seat (just a visual guess, though).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD