3mpire

Diapered Main?

In this thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4463200;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

There was a discussion about diapered mains, which is not something I am familiar with.

I'm really interested by the discussion about deployment and how the shape of the container, what/how the parachute is "in" something, and the pilot chute affect openings.

I'd like to understand this better, particularly the "diaper" approach. I'm assuming it's an alternative to a deployment bag?

Rather than having a learning opportunity mixed up/lost in a flame bait thread, I thought I'd start a nice new friendly and objective thread and kindly ask if anyone with more history and knowledge than me can educate me on this.

If someone even wanted to geek out and just give me an explanation about the evolution of deployment systems that'd be rad, too.

:)

It's basically a flap of material that wraps around the bottom end of a 'mummy-ed' canopy with one or more grommets on one side and line stow bands that feed through those grommets on the other.

You would encase the bottom of the canopy in the diaper and stow the lines on it, the grommet /stow-bands keeping it closed until line stretch.

It was a very quick and easy way to pac, the openings were consistently firm but not a slammer, I never had line twists using a 'raeper', 'diaper', 'frap-strap' as they were called.

Actually a frap-strap only had one grommet to keep it closed and the lines were simply coiled up in the packtray...with that set-up I used to pack in about 2 minutes. The negative side was it seemed to wear the canopy a bit faster.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's basically a flap of material that wraps around the bottom end of a 'mummy-ed' canopy with one or more grommets on one side and line stow bands that feed through those grommets on the other.

Is the flap part of the canopy? I'm trying to envision how it is different than a deployment bag or a free bag?

For example I found this via google search:

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm08572835/page03.htm

Is the white material in this image the diaper? What happens to it after it is pulled out of the bag during deployment?

[inline fig26.jpg]

I had a diaper for a long time; it was as wide as my container, and controlled the bottom of the canopy, the slider, and the lines (all were stowed on my diaper -- I made it, I decided). Worked quite well. The compression was tight enough to be definite, loose enough to be no problem whatsoever to set the rubber bands.

One thing to consider is that diapered mains might not pack quite as easily into the container with slipper-as-snot Z-po fabric. I don't know -- haven't tried it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Actually a frap-strap only had one grommet to keep it closed and the lines were simply coiled up in the packtray...with that set-up I used to pack in about 2 minutes. The negative side was it seemed to wear the canopy a bit faster.

Well pretty sure those who went in with lines half hitched to a closing flap were thinking how that was a negative to that method..... :P
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Is the flap part of the canopy? I'm trying to envision how it is different than a deployment bag or a free bag?

For example I found this via google search:

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm08572835/page03.htm

Is the white material in this image the diaper? What happens to it after it is pulled out of the bag during deployment?

Yes that's the diaper....there IS no bag...once the diaper is 'set' you S fold the canopy into the pack-tray

Well pretty sure those who went in with lines half hitched to a closing flap were thinking how that was a negative to that method..... :P

42" pilot-chute and pullin' stable prevented any 1/2 hitches! ;)

~ I use to free-pack a Unit-3 (L O N G lines) into a 1st gen wonderdog with a pull-out!
Ya really didn't wanna hang onto the pilotchute for more than say ~
.00000000000001 sec! ;)

*** What happens to it after it is pulled out of the bag during deployment?

The diaper was attached to the canopy with one seam sewn down the middle of the diaper usually on the top of the tail in the normal center stitch line. That way it was in position to just be wrapped around the cocooned canopy and closed with the two rubber bands and 2 line bites.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

For ram air mains being used ONLY for clear & pull (hop & pop) jumps there is the "tail pocket". Basically it is just a set of rubber bands at the middle of the canopy's tail. Lines are stored on it.... And NOTHING controls (wraps or contains) the canopy itself. Sometimes this is used for CReW. The purpose is to get really fast sub-terminal openings.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

That PDF is a great explanation. I laughed right off the bat:

When you hear the word diaper, you probably think of something wrapped around a baby’s bottom. Similarly, a parachute diaper is wrapped around the bottom, or skirt, of your parachute where the lines are attached and keeps all the “crap” contained during certain critical stages of the parachute’s deployment.

Reading through that it easy to see the evolution that led to the deployment bag.

What is it about the deployment bag that makes it "better" than a full stow diaper? Is it that the diaper is harder to pack? Performs worse at terminal openings?

Reading through that it easy to see the evolution that led to the deployment bag.
~~~IIRC the deployment bag came first.

What is it about the deployment bag that makes it "better" than a full stow diaper?
~~~They cost more $ ;)

Is it that the diaper is harder to pack?
~~~nope....they're EASIER to pack, no bag stuffing headache!

Performs worse at terminal openings?
~~~~~I have over 1000 jumps on diapered mains, most at terminal...no problems.

Word is you get a more staged & controlled opening with a bagged canopy...maybe. I've never jumped a zpo with a diaper, THAT might be a bit more 'sporty' at terminal so to speak than a big ole 7cell F1-11 'square' main.

What kind of pack job would you do for a square in a diaper? I'm assuming you don't s-fold it?

You would flat-pack it, wrap & set the diaper around the bottom end stowing the lines, then S fold the mummy/cocoon shaped canopy right into the pack-tray.

If ya think it sounds Rube Goldberg...remember THAT'S basically how all the reserves were packed 'back in the day' :ph34r:

If someone even wanted to geek out and just give me an explanation about the evolution of deployment systems that'd be rad, too.

Chapter 2 of the document linked below might help you with the various deployment systems.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-17.pdf
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Actually the bag came before the diaper on mains. In the 70's there were a crap load of packing methods for square mains. Straps, bags, diapers, short sleeves, ropes and rings, slider stowed in rubber bands up at the canopy, and the very scary: nose deployed no pilot chute,
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316