hillson

Canopy illumination at night?

Is there a preferred piece of equipment / ancient received wisdom regarding the best way to do this? I do them - and enjoy them - enough to spend money on stuff for rare jump use.

I've searched the old threads but they seem to be more about strobes and arguments over whether night jumps should be required for a D.

The closest gear advice I've seen is gaffing a strobe and / or mini mag light to the back of the helmet. Is that still the preferred solution? I'd prefer the light to be a secondary source as I keep the strobe on my left lateral.

I've tried the mini mag under the wrist or on the mud flap but the results were rather meh. I wear a full face fwiw.

Is there a preferred piece of equipment / ancient received wisdom regarding the best way to do this? I do them - and enjoy them - enough to spend money on stuff for rare jump use.

The closest gear advice I've seen is gaffing a strobe and / or mini mag light to the back of the helmet. Is that still the preferred solution? I'd prefer the light to be a secondary source as I keep the strobe on my left lateral.

By a second strobe/light, and put one in each place.

You can get some amazingly bright LED flashlights that are small & light...

For a 'permanent' solution, sew an elastic pocket on the back riser(s) with the open end facing up.

Drop in the flash light!

I picked up a couple last week at home depot, 5.00 each, 9 bright led's with a 3way switch going from dim to bright to bright rapid flashing.

They're way bright...and focused on the bottom skin light the canopy up for miles & smiles! ;)

These work great too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGEAR-Guardian-Clip-Safety-Light-RUNNING-WALKING-HIKING-CAMPING-BOATING-WHITE-/350744268158?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item51a9fccd7e

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For the night crw we have been doing, we get one of those little rotating head lamps and attach it to the helmet. It lights up your canopy well, and you can spin it to light in front of you in case you land off...

Do you have any pics of illuminated canopies that you can share?

I haven't been able to find any.

I found these but I was hoping for something better:

http://searchlight.anomalyresponse.org/2009/11/breaking-ufos-over-east-side-of.html

I wonder what Team Fastrax was using to illuminate their canopies? It must have been bright to cause so many UFO reports.

I understand that it must be difficult to take a picture like his but there must be some out there.

For the night crw we have been doing, we get one of those little rotating head lamps and attach it to the helmet. It lights up your canopy well, and you can spin it to light in front of you in case you land off...

Do you have any pics of illuminated canopies that you can share?

I haven't been able to find any.

I found these but I was hoping for something better:

http://searchlight.anomalyresponse.org/2009/11/breaking-ufos-over-east-side-of.html

I wonder what Team Fastrax was using to illuminate their canopies? It must have been bright to cause so many UFO reports.

I understand that it must be difficult to take a picture like his but there must be some out there.

;)

http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Personal/BrightenUP_105827.html

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~