Gawain

Aussie's...you gonna take this?!

Prime Minister John Howard recently sparked outrage in Southeast Asia by saying he was prepared to launch pre-emptive strikes on terrorists based in other countries if doing so would prevent an attack on Australia.

Damn, I guess its not only the big bad ole USA that is forcing its agenda on the rest of the oppressed world;)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

condolences for everyone who lost loved ones in Bali:(

fuck the terrorists...wasn't it Mullah Omar, who went running out of Kabul with his ass burnt, saying that he & bin Laden were planning "the destruction of America"?? WTF does the destruction of America, or Australia, mean?? I know the battle isn't over, but it seems to me that the totalitarian, woman-hating, oppressive, medieval fanatical government that was ruling Aghanistan is what got destroyed.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Hey Gawain, thanks for that bit of info. That was the first I read about it.
This is a bit scary! I live in Townsville(Australia)where the biggest army base in the north is. I dont think I like living in Townsville anymore....[:/]

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

I don't know what you'd like me to do...enlist in the military because some idiot is talking shit? Bali was a massive tragedy and I know people who lost loves ones, but it seems to me that our politicians and media have grabbed this horrific act with both hands in an attempt to portray it as act of terrorism directed exclusively at Australians. From where I sit, it looks very much like the media and politicians attempting to manufacture some form of consent for any military action the US takes against Iraq. This is necessary because the Australian public has been very reluctant to endorse such action. While what happened in Bali was sickening and I'd like to see the fuckers responsible in pain, I for one am hesitant to hop on this media band-wagon.
Firstly, our Prime Minister is in my opinion, a complete fool. His disregard for letting facts get in the way of his political ambitions is well documented . His comments regarding pre-emptive strikes are absolutely ridiculous and have done nothing but en-flame the situation further. Now, before I am labelled a liberal communist, let me explain why.
Australia's military is sub-standard. We could not defend ourselves if we had too. Any attempt to attack Indonesian soverinty would be very silly indeed, with out our good mates America doing most of the work. Secondly, there is no way Australia has the capacity, or indeed the intent to launch a strike. John Howard is essentially talking out his arse in a pathetic attempt to grab more support because of the high emotions present after the Bali bombing.
As much as I detest Abu Baker (sp?) his comments are no surprise, and quite frankly, are reasonably accurate regarding the stupidity of John Howard and his remarks. As much as Bali was a national tragedy, Australia has not been attacked. Of course it is possible that this can and will change, but the present fact remains the same.
As much as I do understand the motivation behind such remarks (and believe me, I do) as "don't take this laying down"...it does seem to be a reasonably uninformed view of the situation propagated by various media conglomerates. These guys are evil, no doubt about it, but engaging in a rhetoric war for the sole purpose of furthering one's political agenda makes me sick. Finally, as much as I hate to say it, lets not forget other's right to respond to potentially aggressive statements. Freedom of speech is not a right only enjoyed by us.
If push comes to shove, I'll fight, but right now, that to me is certainly not warranted.
JP out.

I don't know what you'd like me to do...

I wasn't intending to suggest action on anyone's part other than to take notice. No, I doubt you're a liberal communist...;)

The attack in Bali may not have been directed at Australians, but you still suffered a great loss, over nothing other than being on good terms with other western countries (like the US). The last time I checked, each society held the other in relatively high esteem (IIRC)....so...there it is. ;)

As for Australia's ability to extend military power, didn't Australia already invade Indonesia, or New Guinea a few years back to quell a civil conflict or something?

Don't know enough about the politics down there...sorry...got enough going on up here *sigh* :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It was a peace-keeping force in East Timor, which Indonesia very reluctantly allowed us to take part in. Believe me, we were thoroughly un-prepared, we had to borrow 4000 flak jackets from the US to protect our troops. In part we were attempting to clean up a mess we helped create 25 years previously.

It's good to be aware of things, but I think it is equally important to be aware of hidden (or not so hidden) political agendas.

I don't blame you for not knowing much about our politics...that's why we spend days watching cricket and drinking beer, because it's so damn boring;)

because it's so damn boring

That is teribble, if only your govenment handled things like the English House of Parliment, I love watching their debates, those old chaps must not be truly Brits, considering how ungentlemanly they act from time to time, Oh I do love my C-Span2
;)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

....a mess we helped create 25 years previously.

That's why we get along so famously! We make messes too! B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!