Divalent

"Military Luggage" Gear Bag - anyone have?

I'm looking for a decent gear bag to hold my container and stuff. I ran across this for $99, and the size and style seem like it would be perfect. Volume wise it should hold my container and everything else with room to spare. No shoulder strap (that I can see from the photo or description), but it has wheels, and I assume the wheel/handle part means it has a ridged base (so it's not a floppy stash bag).

Anyone have one of these that can give an opinion? How well does it work, and how well does it hold up to moderate abuse?

Thanks

http://www.militaryluggage.com/Coyote-Brown-Deployment-Container-Bag-p/9933coy.htm

Those look like the dead hooker bags we had.

I've seen a couple with busted wheels, but I doubt you'll put them thru what we did. ;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi mate,

Yep I've got the black version of this bag purchased from the PX in Camp Bastion, Afghanistan about 12 months ago. I've dragged it all around Iraq and Afghanistan, dragging it all over the place and not particularly taking any care where I go. It's been on upwards of 100 flights both commercial and cargo (cargo being the worst with the bag just being forced wherever it'll fit). I now work in Africa and the bag is still with me and with a bit of a clean would still look like new!

I don't think I paid $100 for mine (pretty sure it was around $60) but I'd still say it's well worth the money.

Oh and as for size you could easily fit 4 student rigs in it and still have a little room to spare!

i've been looking for a solid gear bag for travel to the dz, and now that i seem to be bringing my rig every time i travel, something good for the airplane.

this looks like it would be solid for gear, but does it offer much protection under the plane? i'd be worried about my rig getting crushed somehow or have another face shield smashed on my helmet. it doesn't look like it would fit in the overhead bin either.

i would be curious to hear if anyone has any advice on using this exclusively as a gear bag for travel and how it works out.

When I was looking into gear bags as well I thought the same as you, protecting my rig when under hundreds of pounds of weight when traveling such as checking in on planes.

Personal opinion is that there is nothing better than a Pelican Case. Weighs 20lbs (1650 model) empty, but is water tight, dust proof, crush proof, and simply rock solid build. Largest size Pelican you can buy for checking in without being oversized as airlines have a maximum 63 linear inches policy. Mind you with that much gear you WILL be over weight, so being a frequent flyer on a specific airlines helps you to avoid overweight fees.

Fits my BASE and skydiving rig along with jumpsuit, wing suit, weight belt, gloves, spare clothes and accessories. Helmet I have a case that I always carry on board with. Hope ya find what you are looking for!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

sweet that's just what i was looking for. so, you'd recommend the 1650? i'll have to check at work and see what we have laying around and do some sizing of my gear after the holidays.

have you had any trouble checking it, as long as it's locked? any idea how much the overweight charges are, or is that per airline i wonder? doesn't fit your helmet or any reason not to put it in there too?

you don't happen to have a picture of all your gear packed up in the case, and one showing all the stuff you're able to fit in there?

i would be curious to hear if anyone has any advice on using this exclusively as a gear bag for travel and how it works out.

Carry your rig on. Check this bag with the rest of your gear and your other clothes & personal items.

I have a large rolling duffel bag from Osprey that I use at home for a gear bag; I keep my primary rig, jumpsuit, helmet and various other stuff in it for car trips to/from the dropzone. It also acts as my storage bag when my gear's at home, to keep my gear protected from curious cats.

When I travel, the rig goes in a backpack to carry on, and my clothes go in the gear bag to be checked. You can arrange things so that the helmet is in the center of the bag, insulated by clothes. In a few dozen times checking my bag that way, I've never had any helmet damage issues. Of course, there's a first time for everything, but so far so good.

Depending on how big that bag is, if it's got a really large volume, your biggest concern will be to not over stuff it so that you go over the 50 lb weight limit for checked luggage. (And, in general, I've noticed that the airlines usually structure their fees so you're better off paying for an additional bag than paying the overweight fees).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

i've been looking for a solid gear bag for travel to the dz, and now that i seem to be bringing my rig every time i travel, something good for the airplane.

this looks like it would be solid for gear, but does it offer much protection under the plane? i'd be worried about my rig getting crushed somehow or have another face shield smashed on my helmet. it doesn't look like it would fit in the overhead bin either.

To be honest if you're looking for a solid gear bag the bag mentioned by the OP is not for you. The sides are soft and really wouldn't offer much protection from crushing with 50 Ton of other peoples luggage sat on top of it in the aeroplane, it is far to big to be used as a carry on also.

As has been mentioned by other posters if you want to put your rig, helmet, e.c.t. in the hold I'd suggest a Peli-case or a Gorilla Box http://beaumont-tx.americanlisted.com/sport/gorilla-boxes-on-wheels-25-vidor-texas_18624739.html. The Gorilla Box is not as sturdy as the Peli-Case but is cheaper and lighter yet more than good enough to protect all your Skydiving kit IMHO.

I have a nearly identical bag. The only difference is that the big side pocket on mine is long enough for an M4 or Shorty AK. I've had mine in AFG and have taken it across the US a bunch of times. I can fit both rigs, all my camera gear, helmets, jumpsuits, and enough clothes to last a month. I've not destroyed the wheels on mine yet.

Edited to add that I also have a number of big Pelican cases. The one I use most is my 1650. I can fit both rigs, one or two jumpsuits, and my camera helmet in it. It's indestructible, but it weighs a ton when loaded and I ALWAYS get charged the "heavy" fee unless I show my military ID.

Chuck

not sure about the OP, but I'm planning on getting a 1650 case. anyone that knows me from work will understand why i have to spend some time looking for a non-black/tan/od-green one.

sadly, mil civ's don't get the same discount on luggage that you active duty folks do...

Here is a picture of my setup at the moment. BASE rig isn't packed so I didn't jam it in there and have to rearrange things inside... tight fit but it works. My G3 helmet does not fit inside with 2 rigs so I just put my ROK in the black sack just for ya to see how everything looks inside. Under the wing suit (red/white bag) is my jumpsuit and under my weight belt is some clothes and accessories + gloves

Also on the side of the case it has a location for you to engrave your name and address in case it does ever get lost or go missing.

In terms of overweight I don't pay since I'm a Gold member for star alliance which has a limit of 70lbs per bag, of which I've never exceeded. United charges $100 per bag over 50lbs so long as it doesn't exceed 70lbs

In terms of locks just buy some locks that have the TSA approved logo and no hassle whatsoever. Just make sure you buy the wire locks as the hard ones won't fit.

Pictures below and YES, I'd highly recommend the Pelican 1650 you can't go wrong unless being overweight (50-70lbs) range is a huge concern for you.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp