Kalrigan

Starting to consider buying gear.

So I just got my Solo yesterday and I'm about to start buying gear slowly. Not going for a rig yet obviously, I'm gonna for a lot more jumps before considering one.

What I'm mainly looking into getting at this moment are things like: alti, full face helm, gloves for those chilly jumps with some grip preferably, jumpsuit maybe. Any recommendations on those pieces? Do I NEED a jumpsuit? I assume the Galaxy altis are good ones to start with?

People have their own opinions about gear so I'll just give you mine. Others may differ.

Alti: Yes, a galaxy is a good first altimeter. It is always great to have something that is not dependent on batteries.

Gloves: Warm without inhibiting tactile sensation. Lots of opinions on these. I personally use mechanix gloves all year round and use some lighter running gloves underneath it is cold.

Helmet: You mention full-face, I'm personally a fan of a regular open face Benny or Pro-tec for a first helmet. I understand the full face is nice for those of you who jump where it gets really cold.

Jumpsuit: Yes, you will need a jumpsuit and will progress faster with one. You will probably end up with more than one. I have a Bev suit for RW and they are good suits. There are other quality suit makers out there too.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

gloves for those chilly jumps with some grip preferably

Preferably?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_6&search_string=gloves&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

The search function will allow you to find all the recommendations you need.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thank you gentlemen for the replies.
I'll write down Galaxy on the shopping list then. The reason I want a full face helm is because I don't wanna wear goggles, for the most part. Also helps when it gets chillier here in Toronto. I do have a Benny already, but was thinking about upgrading.

As for jumpsuits, what style should a beginner like me go for? I understand there are some for freeflying, some for other stuff, but for someone who'll be working towards his A what kind do I really need?

I'm a proponent of people getting an RW suit for their first suit.

I don't know what things are like in Toronto but the places I've jumped here in the states inlcude use of a student jumpsuit for all jumps until you get your A. If the jumpsuit rental is included then I strongly recommend using their jumpsuit as long as possible (no use tearing up a new suit you just bought) :)
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm a proponent of people getting an RW suit for their first suit.

I don't know what things are like in Toronto but the places I've jumped here in the states inlcude use of a student jumpsuit for all jumps until you get your A. If the jumpsuit rental is included then I strongly recommend using their jumpsuit as long as possible (no use tearing up a new suit you just bought) :)

We stop using the DZ jumpsuits once we get our Solo, but you do make a good point. I'll make sure with the DZ next time I go up, or call them. I'll keep the RW suit in mind. Thank you sir.

Definitely definitely get a full-face helmet. Its just SOOO much comfortable and warmer for us Canadians :)
G3 Cookie is always a good choice
and I also love Bonehead's Revolve (cozy and warm during the winter!).
Buy them used ofc (I don't think its worth purchasing it new at 350$, which I'm sure you'l scratch it from time to time).

Don't think you can wrong with any analog altimeter. FT-50 and Galaxy are both fine.

There might be a FB group for skydiving equipments in Toronto?

This is for the Montreal area (if you're interested):
http://www.facebook.com/groups/260485063971337/

If there's something nice and cheap; probably easier to go through ''new ads'' before someone gets it.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?g=New%2F&d=1

i live near toronto kalrigan, do you mind telling me where you learned to skydive and if they do winter jumps? i just turned 18 and want to get trained to jump solo ASA

Eh, wouldn't do jumps during the winter. its less pleasant and less fun IMO. (And not the greatest time to learn).

PST does a few jumps during wintertime but they only seem to do hop&pop.

Should wait until next summer :P
Skydive Toronto has some nice Aerodyne Icons + Pilots equipments IMO.

Cheers! :)Shc