Slappie

Where do you stand?

family unit, including aunts/uncles/grandparents etc. is "stronger" than over here?
What about the Arab custom of honor killing. Opium is the #1 cash crop of Middle east countries. The picture you paint is Oil Rich People not mid east culture. The middle eastern culture is very tribal, but i think we have a different meaning of family unit. We include the female members in Dr. visits, voting ect.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

What about the Arab custom of honor killing. Opium is the #1 cash crop of Middle east countries. The picture you paint is Oil Rich People not mid east culture. The middle eastern culture is very tribal, but i think we have a different meaning of family unit. We include the female members in Dr. visits, voting ect.

hi, Harry... what I was looking for was some commentary like "nah, when they're 18, they move out, get their own pad with 47 other singles, and live the high-life" or "no, they are kept in the family, near the family, and family is the largest influence on their lives". I did't mean how nicely they treat "their" women, how many rights women are "allowed" to have, etc. For example, there are many college age middle eastern men here right now...is it customary for them to come home and enter the family business, if there is one, or stay here and branch out on their own? How long does the familial ties stay binding the youth to the family, and how much influence does the parental figures in the family have on the youth? More of a cultural aspect, rather than hard numbers...and more on a religious thing, rather than a social kinda thing. Make more sense?

But your point is well taken...and I appreciate your input.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Yeah, so did the British. One world war and a lost generation later, they were a bancrupt. It's taken them almost 70 years to rebuild a respectable economy.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Yeah I'm a red blooded American too. Our job is to constantly call into question everything the Federal government does, especially when it involves war. Congress reserves the right to make war, not the Executive. There is an election coming up soon. Time for us to be patrotic and do our jobs. Vote.
Democracy is such a messy business. Good news is probably none of us will be dragged out in the middle of the night and jailed or shot for expressing ourselves. Unless the current AG changes something while we're not looking.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

For example, there are many college age middle eastern men here right now...is it customary for them to come home and enter the family business, if there is one

yes, it is. but a lot of arabs want better for their children, so i think right now we're witnessing some change.

or stay here and branch out on their own?

they are incouraged to do this. but it is customary for them to return home after their education is completed. chances are, if they are in the US attending institutions of higher learning, their parents (fathers) are affluent.

How long does the familial ties stay binding the youth to the family, and how much influence does the parental figures in the family have on the youth?

the family ties are forever binding, traditionally. and the parental influence is lifelong, until the parent is housed by the sibling.

and to resond to another poster's comments referring to the rich and affluent, the housing i described is traditional, and as i said cost of living here is much cheaper than the US. the man i was referring to makes the same money i do, i can't afford a palace, i can assure you, neither can i afford more than one wife. i tried my best to show upper and middle class lifestyles. it appears to me there are some in the US who may be a little upset that arabs live such a lifestyle. just a observational perspective.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"