josteinh

Javelin Odyssey 2001 riser cover problem, need advice

Hi.

I recently bougt a 2001 Javelin Odyssey rig , but when i inspected it beforce purchase it did not have a main/reserve packed in it.

After i got it back from my rigger fully equiped i notice that both riser cover flaps are really loose. It's like the "hard plastic" inside the cover doesnt fit into the pockets in the corner/edge on the back. As a result, they come off really easy in both freefall as well as on the ground/in the plane.

After purchase I am informed that the old owner also had this problem.

What can I do to fix this? I heard someone mention that the reserve can be packed lower in the rig, to give less tension on the top and as a result the flaps will fit better?

I have also tried not using the cover "pocket", but tucking them under the risers instead but they came loose right away during freefall.

Sucks to get "new" gear and be irritated every time you put it on :(

That is a pretty common problem among some of the older javs. Reserve bulk distribution gets pretty important. Get with your rigger and see if he can get some bulk away from the riser covers. When I did mine, I packed the ears of the bag pretty loose, then during the closing process I used everything I had to get the bulk as low as possible. I believe mine is an 01 as well, and I have not had any problems since I packed the reserve. I did have some before. Good luck.
BASE 1384

Exactly right - rigger induced bulk problem...

I have the same rig. First time I packed it it suffered the same problems. Next repack I reduced the bulk and the flaps stay where they should. I find the trick is to be neat with the ear folds. Some riggers just ram them in the bag all scrunched up but if you make neat folds the rig is much neater.

-Michael

How tight is the main? Javelins with a toung change geomitry based on loop length of the main. If the loop is too long the stack of grommits on the main will shift down wards pulling the side flaps down wards putting more tension on the riser covers. If you can try to pack your main fully with in your main bag, not hanging out. Try to shorten your main loop if you can. It should take a good grunt to close it. If you can close it a little tighter you'll get less tension down the sides of the container.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Thank for your input.
I gave it back to the rigger, told him what you said and about the problem, he repacked free of charge and there seems to be very little in the ears now.

It made the problem better, but still not "great". One of the covers will still not fit inside the "pocket", maybe 85% is inside and the bit closest to the canopy sticks out.

Both reserve and main is at max in the rig, however its a ZPX and fits pretty good inside the container and inside the rig. It takes some "knees on the bag" to close it.

I dont understand how the loop length can affect riser covers, its "a diffrent part of the rig" isnt it ?

They're not really sepperat. The main tray and the riser covers are sewn together along the sides. If you look at the top flap of the main tray, it's almost covered by the side flaps when it's closed, you should see that it has a wrinkle in it. It's actually not "tight" or it shouldn't be if you are in the center of the size range. As the loop gets longer that flap extends as you put a larger canopy in the container. As this happens, As you put a longer loop in the main the stack of grommets moves away from the reserve tray. If a sence the reserve tray moves up in the closed container. Actually what is happening is a hinge efect acting at the bottom edge of the reserve tray/top edge of the main. When you close the bottom flap up tight you are basically closing that henge. Loop too long you open it. Thjat contributes to the tension along the top edge of the riser covers. That is part of the reason why it seems to be trying to pull the tuck tabs down wards into the back of the slot, the end towards the reserve. If the loop is too long you can also develop problems with the main tuck tab. You can get too much tension there too.

This is a trade off for the ability to fit a wider range of canopy sizes. It also allows you to tighten the loop on a smaller canopy. Other containers with a verry short loop in one flap lack the ability to compress the pack tray in the same way.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com