Skyrose7

Runners! need advice!

hey, I have a couple questions for all you avid runners. I have been running consistently for about a month and a half now and I got myself up to about 30 miles/wk. What is a good time for an 8 mile run? 5 mile? I am cutting off time now and don't know whether to add more miles or just run faster.
What is the life of my running shoes if I am running this much? I don't belong to a gym, so I don't have anyone to ask. Any answers you have would really help.
:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

not a runner anymore, but used to be... trying to gain weight to improve my freefall =)

it depends on what you want to focus on, sprinting or endurance.

for endurance training anytime is a good time for an 8mi run, if you are well hydrated and it's not too hot / cold. don't do it every day in a row of course... and don't feel like you have to go the whole way if you twist your ankle or get a cramp or something. no point in turning a small injury into a big one.

shoes will last several months...maybe a whole year but that's probably pushing it as far as the stink factor is concerned. after 9 months or so go to the shoe store and try on a new pair. when you put your old shoes back on if they feel like cardboard it's probably time =) some people (myself included) prefer to run with stiffer shoes, if you count yourself in this group then you can probably go a little longer

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

30! that's awesome! I'm only doing about 15/wk right now. I think I'm not in mental running shape, i get bored. My shoes usually last 3 or 4 months if I run consistently. I don't like stiff shoes though, so when they start to feel like cardboard, i convert them to my shit shoes and i get new running shoes...
last week i forgot my running shoes and by 1 mile in my shit shoes, and my shins were hurting so bad i just stopped... gotta have good shoes.
I usually only do 3 or 4 mi, so i can't help you with times for 5 or 8. I just run as fast or as long as i feel like. If i were training for something, I'm sure i'd have goals set...

that wasn't very helpful... but way to go on 30! you go girl.

peace
http://www.exitshot.com

Alright, well, I haven't been running much since I blew my knee up, BUT when I was running (before that), I was doing 5 minutes in about 45 minutes. Usually less, but that was sort of an average. I was doing 3 miles in about 19 minutes or so...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

thanks guys. I have had my shoes for a month and my shins are funny. They hurt for the first four miles, and then the last four miles they are fine and I get this huge energy burst!
lew- I think 15 is awesome! I think you have to be in runner running shape to do that! I used to run 3 miles a week and think I was over-exerting myself. It's funny how a goal can change your perspectives on what you can do. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

thanks TB. My mind and body already are lovin the effects. I can't wait for my daily run (it is so relaxing) and BONUS, I am toning up and losing weight like I never thought possible! Running rocks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

damn good times...i just did 4 miles (rather impromptu i had to drop a truck off and didnt have a ride back soo...) 37 min (:( used to be able to do 26-30)and discovered i need new shoes too...and someone to kick me in the ass..i hate running, until i'm done with it then the feeling is wonderful

when i was averaging 25-30 miles a week, my shoes lasted about six months before i needed new ones...

any advice on new brands/models? i used to love my asics but things have changed alot since i was running seriously

I run in New Balance. I thought they were great at first, and I have gone through three pair in a couple years. But, now that I am actually running consistently I don't think they are so great. I could use some shoe advice as well. I don't want to ask a shoe store person, who knows what they will try to sell me...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

ok, here's a twist. I have been running in snow and mud puddles. . So, my shoes have gotten soaked a couple times. I was told this could ruin your shoes. truth? myth?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

How about this twist ...

I don't know about you guys, but when I come home from an awesome run, I feel really super horny! God, maybe it's the endorphines or something, but it's great when I'm seeing someone and I just get done running, but is real crappy when I'm single!

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

bwahhhaa! THat twist is much better than mine!
I feel wonderful after a good run, but I don't know about horny. I just feel like stretching and drinking water.
now, ab work on the other hand....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

Yea, it's real weird ... I'd do a whole bunch of pushups and situps (usually just 1 set of 100 each) and then run ... by the time I get home, I'm so wired and just bite my tongue when I'm single!

HA, that's funny! i definately feel good after, sometimes up for that twist but only in or after the shower.

As for shoes, a few years ago I tried New Balance and Saucony, which seemed to be the fad running shoes... but they just didn't work well with my feet. So i went back to good old Nike, and i'm a Nike gal. Occasionally i'll find some Adidas running shoes I like and they'll sneak into the rotation. But also note, I wear a men's size 10, so i can't speak for women's shoes. i only buy men's.

i also almost always get headaches shortly after running, but i think i'm hypoglycemic or something like that.

Today was nice, i ran outside for the first time in months. I usually run on the treadmill, don't like running in snow/cold. I also love running at midnight in the summer, anyone else like that?
I usually do 3 miles in 24 or so, so Mary you're lapping me! :)
one more tangent... Does anyone else who runs alot notice that it hurts your vertical jump ability? I play good volleyball, and i need to stay at the max of my jump, one of the reasons I don't go longer distances. (Yeah I got white girl hops to begin with, but trying not to let them drop to credit card hops) i also do intervals to mix things up a bit, and incline when indoors...

i'll shut up now.
peace

http://www.exitshot.com

Nikes are too narrow for me, usually. New Balance makes their shoes wider, which works for me. Otherwise I get all sorts of fun foot problems.

I also like running in combat boots. Call me weird, but they feel good.

All this talk of running is getting me really wanting to run...I haven't tried to run in a few weeks, I wonder if I can do it yet. Hmmmm, I think I'm waking up early tomorrow. B|

(never fuck up your knees, its hell getting back to where you can do normal crap)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nice ... Love volleyball ... did 4-years varsity back in high-school and still play on the beach every time I go! I love it, but have no clue as to whether or not it affects your vert ... I have pretty decent ups, but have no idea if running affected it in any way! So, with all this rambling, you got no usefull info other than the fact that you're real cool too ... just like Mary:S

I run 3 miles in 21 minutes, 5 miles in 44 minutes, and 8 miles in one hour and 9 minutes

That is amazing. I know guys in the ARMY that do not run that fast. I used to be able to average about a 6min mile. That was before I blew my hip apart. I have not really tried to run again yet. Trying not to wear the joint.

I agree with LEWMONST on the wear; about three months is max. Especially for the distance you are running. I let mine go when I was on active duty and ended up tearing my IT band. It runs from your hip to your knee. Very painful!! B|

I do not think you need to increase distance. You might want to try some wind sprint drills for speed but it sounds like you are already running fast. At most it would give you a change of pace for some days.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Sounds like you are an awesome runner. Keep striving for new goals. Take Care.

Blue Skies,

KRAMER
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

damn you peoples.. I was soooo happy with running one mile in less than 10 min! ya had to go rubbin it it didnt ya ;) Well im gonna keep runnin... and one day I will to 2 miles in 20 min!:P

Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Last year at this time I was running 30 to 50 miles a week. for 3 miles i was usually getting around 18 to 20 mins, for 5 miles 35 to 40 mins, i never did an 8 mile run but for 11 miles i was usually getting around an hour and half. As for shoes for that 5 month training period i went throught 3 pairs of the same shoe, its also a good idea to have a back up pair for when they got wet and muddy. And even now i have a back up pair of the same shoe, you would be amaised out how much they get worn down just after a few weeks. also don't forget to have rest days, after i trained my ass off for months i ended up with a stress fracture and a desk job, Happy running

Yea ... watch the stress fracture ... I came REALLY REALLY close to having one because I kept running when I should've stopped ... had to stop for a couple weeks to let it cool off! Good point!