cgross

with friends like these, who needs...

Complete article with link below:

Here is just a bit so you can decide whether or not you wish to read it.

BORDEAUX, France — Vandals in southwest Bordeaux torched a replica of the Statue of Liberty and cracked the pedestal of a plaque honoring victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82245,00.html

Yeah, the're pretty PO'd at us right now. Many Europeans are boycotting American products. There is, however, some debate wether they are actually boycotting European businness since many American products are made in Europe.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

After Liberty Fries and Liberty Toast, it's prudent to expect some extremists from the French side to do something stupid.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Your letting the actions of a few individuals condemn an entire country. While I'll admit, this does seem to be a very repulsive crime, I wouldn't say its any worse then the suggestion of returing soldiers who are burried in France to the US.

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
--Albert Einstein

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

We seem to be pretty good at that stuff too
-----------------------
Pierre Frik feared if the country went to war in Iraq, he might be targeted by zealots because of his Middle Eastern background.

He never imagined he'd be vulnerable because his chain of stores was named French Cleaners.

The Lebanese native said he only picked the name on a whim, making the Eiffel Tower the stores' logo. But as relations between the United States and France soured over war with Iraq, Frik said he was hit by the backlash.

Customers have spit on checks and passers-by make obscene gestures, he said. On Wednesday, his Modesto store was damaged in a fire. He said he later learned his two other stores had been vandalized.
-----------------------

Kind of ironic - some vandals can't even get their prejudices right.

I will respectfully disagree with you. If my son or father went to another country and died so that said country could have it's freedom, and then was disrespected by that country, would want their body on domestic ground.

Destroying a monument which symbolized the death of 3000 people in the US is not the way to to express anger toward another country. All I want from France is a little appreciation. And for 50 years that country has been nothing but problems. Even when visiting France, us americans are treated like shit. It is just a shame.

They can protest, or boycott, that is fine. Heck, I am boycotting them, but I am not setting the Statue of Liberty on fire am I?

One can always expect some extreamist morons that will screw it up for everyone, but unfortunately in France righ now a lot of these morons are getting a lot of support.

Interesting. I had a wonderful time in France when I visited, and I was quite clearly American.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)