cgross

APRIL??? Spring??? Weather???

So, it has been 6mo since I jumped last. Injury, and it is cold here in the North east in the winter. THis weekend is safty Day at the Ranch, and I was planning on making my come back!!

Then I got a surprise. We are expecting 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow >:(. I am so sick of winter.
I mean sure the snow will be gone by this weekend, by we are forecasting rain for sat and sun. Oh well, it will have to wait a couple weeks I guess.

I also don't know what it is like to jump in 50 degree weather. During my coldest jump it was 70. I am a bit nervous of jumping in temps at altitude of 0F

Chris

Coldest I've ever jumped was 7 celcius (44.6 F). It's really ot that big of a deal, as long as you have gloves on and are wearing shoes! Just put on a few under-layers more than normal. I normally wear about 4 layers, due to crappy weather, but on this occasion I had on about 6. Good luck in the snow!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Question:

I am obviously not current. I am going to safty day for two reasons:
1)Because I think everyone should go to a safety day. With out safety we wouldn't be jumping too much.
2) Recurrency training.

I am a student, and if I get recurrency ground training this weekend, but can't jump due to weather, how long is that training good for? Typically they would want you to be trained and jump the same day I suspect. Right?

Chris

NEVER miss Safety Day, Chris... for any reason, if you can help it- whether or not you jump, and I can vouch for that personally-:P - and be optomistic; bring two pair of gloves and extra layers, just in case of a usable sucker hole- got a fullface helmet? They can come in very handy on cool jump days...and flaring for a slide-in snow landing can be fun, too-- ;)

Brokeneagle.

I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says... he is giving me a reputation I do not deserve!

I know Linda Waz gives recurrency ground training for licensed jumpers, but Im not sure how long the students is good for. Probably a month. An instructor would make sure you were ready for the air.

<---And thats me in some of our plentiful snow this year

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

It sucks sometimes to take the drive especially when your a student and not sure if you are gonna jump or not. Im waiting to see if im going right now. No one answering at manifest yet. Ill try to find out for you today if I go up.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I wouldn't mind jumping in cold weather, the problems is I'M NOT JUMPING AT ALL BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER!!!! >:(>:(.

I'm gonna sue the Weather Channel, is SPRING already, WTF!! >:(

Well, suing TWC won't work. See, I am a meteorologist, and we get very angry when we're sued. So, what typically happens when a suit is brought against us is... We call up GOD and tell him to create more bad weather.

THis is probably the reason it's going to snow here tomorrow. Some sorry asshole probably tried to sue the local weather guy and Bam!!! God interviened! :$

I agree. It's been a long, nasty winter. Fortunately we've had a couple tolerable weekends here in Indiana. Last weekend I jumped when it was -25 f at altitude. I survived, but I don't want to do it again. It's just uncomfortable.

Yep the weather sucks at the moment
just got back from the dz
cloud base down to 1500ft
not shifted all day :(
as for 50 degrees i wish it was that warm
first jump of the year early feb -35c at 16,000ft
my tears froze and if i could have got my hands in my pockets in freefall i would have
still went back up and did another one though :)thankfully its warmed up a lot since then

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

Get used to New England weather. I remember when I was heading up to Skydive New England from Deland last spring. I showed up there towards the end of April and it was around 80+ degrees. Then, on May 18th we got 3-4 inches of snow. Aint that a bitch!

So I'm gonna sue you and God, St. Peter and all the Apostols, Virgin Mary is backing me up.

Interesting of course; I like the idea of holding some damn meteorologists accountable.

But perhaps the more agnostic approach of strapping mother nature naked to a bed and tickling her into submission might be more practical?

BTW< where is that bitch??!!? (my bet; a lot South of here!!)
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

May 18th we got 3-4 inches of snow. Aint that a bitch!

nah, getting your wang caught in your zipper is a bitch, snows just un-lucky.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

those are the words of a man who's never caught his little fella in a zip.. even if it was the most attractive girl's zip, it would still hurt like hell...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies