Maksimsf

230 Fusion loaded 1.2

My DZO have a rig for me for very good price, but it has 230 Fusion in it. According to description it's an elliptical wing, my only worry is linetwists. Does anyone knows if this canopy will give me a few seconds to kick it out or will it dive right away? Anyone out there loading Fusion 1.2 or more?

my only worry is linetwists. Linetwist itselfs will not kill you... fuckup on landing has much higher chances

***Does anyone knows if this canopy will give me a few seconds to kick it out or will it dive right away? Anyone out there loading Fusion 1.2 or more?

Even Velocity can offer you some time to untwist)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

The problem (or benefit) of an eliptical canopy is that they are NOT stable along the roll axis. That's part of their charm, is that they are willing to roll off to one side or the other with little effort from the pilot. Consider a 'square' canopy, if you pull the left toggle down, you turn left. Return the toggle to the full lfight position, and the turn stops. Do the same on an eliptical canopy, and the turn will continue until you counter it with some right toggle (or right harness, or right-whatever).

What this leads to is 'over-turning', where you want to go, let's say 180, and you end up at 270 before you know what happened. It's especailly problematic down low, where you might give it a little too much toggle and find yourself heading toward the ground at a high rate of speed, and facing the wrong direction. Even if you can get through the pattern OK, a slightly uneven flare will have the canopy carving off to one side or the other.

If the rig fits, and the reserve is of an appropriate size (something with a lower WL than 1.2), make an offer on the rig minus the canopy, and put something more 'user friendly' in there. As much as I hate to give this advice - if they won't split the rig up, buy it as-is, and put the Fusion in the closet for a couple hundred jumps, and find something more appropriate to jump in the meantime (the reason I hate to suggest that is most jumpers will end up jumping the eliptical canopy sooner than later 'just because' it's there).

Thanks for a heads up, i will be demoing that rig this weekend, I will ask if I can do hop and pop from 13k to play with it, I dont have a cash to buy another canopy, but may be I will find someone who is willing to trade. Reserve is Raven III 245-250 or something in that range.

i will be demoing that rig this weekend, I will ask if I can do hop and pop from 13k to play with it, I dont have a cash to buy another canopy,

Your budget, and this rig being appropriate for you are not related. You're pushing several fronts by jumping this rig, those being the higher WL for a new jumper, and the aggresive nature of an eliptical for a new jumper, and that's generally not a good idea.

Just for reference, the rule of thumb in downsizing or changing planform (square, semi-eliptical, eliptical, or x-brace) is to change only one at a time. You can go smaller while staying on your same planform, or move laterally to a different planform in the same size you're currently jumping. All of this is denpendent on you being qualifed for the downsize or planform change.

For additional reference, some countries have an outright ban on eliptical canopies for anyone with less than 'x' number of jumps. While the exact number varies from country to country, they'll all in the area of 300 to 500 jumps.

Offer to buy the rig sans canopy, and shop around for a different wing, or buy the rig as-is, and put the canopy up for sale or trade, and then get something better suited to you. Jumping it as-is is ill advised, and asking for trouble.

Edit to add- another option, hit the DZO up for an appropriate loaner canopy for 100 jumps or so if you buy the complete rig. There's a good chance there's an older student canopy sitting around you could use while you work your way up to the Fusion.

According to description it's an elliptical wing

(Not to counter any of the good advice you've already received upthread - some very wise words in here.)

Marketing description and practical flight reality are often different things.

The Fusion is generally put in the same performance bucket as the Sabre2 and Safire2-type canopies, rather than the more elliptical, aggro wings like the Stiletto and Crossfire. If (if!) your instructors think you'd be OK on a Sabre2 of that size, thre's no reason to fear a Fusion either.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

A fusion is similar to a sabre2. I would advise at least 100 jumps for a big fusion @ 1.2 rather than 50.
It is a canopy that is somewhat sensitive to packing and body position on opening. It is not a stiletto, but it is not a student type canopy either and it will roll more than a spectre, safire or pilot will. It wouldn't be my first choice for a new jumper, at that WL.

The people who know you can evaluate your choice better, but the problem in your case is that is it the DZO selling the rig, so frankly any advice from staff might not be 100% selfless.

ciel bleu,
Saskia