Gawain

Not a dark thread...

So, this past weekend I saw our sport grow, and grow closer. It was cool sh*t.

My first jump of the day (Sunday) was coaching a girl with 68 jumps who was participating in my DZs two-way skills camp. She was still fresh in a return to the sport after breaking her back some eight-plus months ago in NorCA. The "dive-plan-lesson" being discussed at that point was a no-contact 2-way. We go through our deal, creep it, mock-it-up-in-the-door, and get geared up. Before getting geared up, she asks me, "Do you wanna go through it one more time?" I reply, "Do you need to?" "Well," she says, "at 20 minutes..." I responded, "Remember why you started skydiving, if you're not smiling, I won't turn any points." :P She understood, and relaxed (I can totally relate to performance anxiety).

On the ride up, we don't discuss the jump. Rather, I ask her about her landings, and she's upbeat, but skittish because her landings "today" have been a bit off the mark. I ask her about how and where she's looking and suggest a couple ideas to consider. At 10,000 feet, we lock hands trade a smile, I thank her for the jump, take a deep breath and synch the count. We're second out, behind a four-way. I get in the door, she grabs grips and gives me the nod. Ready-down-out.... ... ... we exit in a star, and wouldn't you know it: we nail the exit I could see her grin through the full-face helmet and she starts keying our points. As we're doing so, I notice a couple little things but otherwise, this girl with 68 jumps is really, really, really, good for someone with 68 jumps. We land and debrief. I was more excited than she was at first :S. That was a good way to start off using the "Coach" ticket. We planned the dive, we dove the plan and most of all were safe and had fun.

Second jump of the day, the LO introduces me to a "Scott" (one of dozens visiting from the UK) and we come up with a sweet two-way, launching a compressed accordion, 180-compressed, cat-540-cat, open-360 transition-open (x2). We belted through that thing three times in the sky. But one of the best moments was this fella explaining to me it was the first time he'd been on the plane and been the only "Brit". Meanwhile, he participated in synching the count with some "freaks" where the count was clucking like a chicken: "buck-buck-buckah!" Apparently they don't do stuff like that across the pond :P.

So me and the Scottsman (his name is Dave) connect with one of the freaks and we put together a hybrid (the Scott's first BTW). We plan a simple exit, and she'll hang off our chest straps and then me and Dave will turn the piece...fast...really fast! :D Then comes the count. Dave having clucked like a chicken was concerned about what to do next...so we chose barking like a dog, "Woof-woof-wwwwooooffff!" :DWell, we pull this off in great style and the freak was thrilled with the jump, swinging under us and getting one hell of a view for the sunset jump.

I know it was tough for many this weekend. I just wanted to share some "light" that carried the spirit of everything we do. :)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

My girlfriend from work was supposed to get deployed to Kansas (blech) but since they cancelled her deployment we took her skydiving instead.. She was with me at Eloy when Holly had her accident. But she wasn't discouraged. She cried with me and then went up on her jump. She still beamed, signed up for her level I AFF, wish her luck!! We were hoping to do a tandem with her and me and a few other people, but she did her jump and I wasn't much up for it after Saturday morning.

take the time to appreciate the people around you.

400 rocked for me last Friday. A sweet hybrid. I know it is just a number but it is nice to actually think special thoughts about a certain jump.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Seems like just a number to most people. I waited mostly because my boyfriend is in Germany until this Friday and he made sure to give me shit about how I was going to do my 400th without him so I figured I'd wait. Boys. :ph34r:

take the time to appreciate the people around you.