Unstable

Props to Lord and Hodge

A Customer asked me to rebuild a torn Dbag, and I found that a good excuse to buy a #4 and #5 Spur Grommet die. I went through Lord and Hodge, and purchased One of each. Just wanted to give them props ~ absolutly fantastic Grommet dies, sets the Mil-Std-20230D Spur Grommets with Rolled Rim washers very nicely, and about 1/3 the Price of the CS Osborne Dies through Paragear (I paid about $22 for each, the punches were more expensive!)

Seems like a good product, I'll be buying more Dies through Lord and Hodge.
=========Shaun ==========

[more experienced rigger, plz corect me if I'm wrong in this post]

I asked the exact same thing to the folks at L&H when I placed the order ~ they do sell the Standard Stimpson SS Spur grommet die hand set tool, but the price is pretty much the same as if you ordered it through Paragear or direct through Stimpson (~$175-$185 -ish). The folks at both Lord and Hodge & Paragear both say that you caaaan set ss/ss long shank #0 grommets with a standard die, but the downside is the tool life will dramatically decrease. So, by how much? The folks at Paragear set SS #0's on standard CS Osborne dies, so do the folks at Lord and Hodge. I asked them how long a normal die will last when used to set SS, and the response was "about 12 gross."

1 gross = 12 dozen, 12 gross = 1728 grommets!

So, how many SS grommets does a rigger set? I probably do ~ 50 a year. The question then becomes: How many $30 dies am I willing to replace before it becomes more economical to buy the $175 die made from high speed tool steel? Seems like and easy decision...:S

I guess I did! Sorry!

Don't blame you ~ "12 gross" is poorly worded. I've pounded about 50 long shank SS on my CS Osborne die, with no visible wear as of yet (although I'm probably more careful than you're average grommet setter...).

I think when we talk to folks at CS Osborne, Stimpson, or Lord and Hodge, they suspect that riggers are like sign makers or manufacturers that set grommets 8 hours a day....Your average DZ-rigger may set 100 grommets of a particular type per year, mostly as repairs.