KillerKimmy

Freestyle BMX

I had a question for all you BMXers out there. How come Freestyle BMX (what I thought was freestyle) has now become a term describing dirtbike flips on ramps and such. What is the term for the old school spins in one place and bunny hops on the front wheel and so on. All the tricks I see in the movie RAD.
Here is an added question to that, how do I go about learning how to do them. I was always interested as a kid, but never had an instructor. I always did my BMXing in the dirt fields nearby where kids carved out jumps berms and so on.
What should I be looking for in a bike to be able to attemp these tricks successfully. (I have 4 or 5 GTs apart in my garage, and wondered if they'll do).
So is it still called freestyle? Was it ever called freestyle? Do I need a Vanilla Ice haircut and a small braid coming out of my neck to do in place stunts like I described?
Thanks

one of my friends in high school had a brother Mike that would fuk it up locally for Team GT on the pro performer

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Thanks you guys. Glad you took the time to post. As for BoobieCootie, sounds like you know what you're talking about. Know what I should do as a beginner? All those terms are nice, but I can't say I know what they are or how to even start them.
Thanks again:)

kim

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Currently that discipline is referred to as flatland. This is by far the toughest of all sports I've attempted. The best way to get into it is to piece one of your GT's together, bolt on some pegs to all four axles, and attempt to balance on them whilst rolling. This will result in bloody palms, and shins, but once you hit that balance point you'll get the idea of where you can take it. Good luck!
I've been heavily involved in various BMX related activities for the last 12 years or so. Mainly I ride street and dirt, but I dabble a bit in ramp riding. Nowadays my bike is neglected!

i just dug my bike out the other day :)
Trouble is, not riding for so long, i've last all ability.. LOL.. i made some pretty funny stacks yesterday. ah well... i have another leg, i'm sure it'll be fine...

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I had another question about tire inflation. Should I inflate the tires on the bike to more than what is required if I'm going to be attempting any stunts? I figured the answer is no, but if I do by chance get this right, I do'nt want the tire ripping off the wheel because of my fat ass.
There is more weight on one tire at times, from what I've seen on the videos and so on. Won't it make sense to be sure of proper inflation?

-Retard

Follow the inflation recommendations printed on the sidewall of the tire. Overinflation can produce exciting results! There are flatland tires that can accept up to 120 psi. That is rock hard! I usually run around 40 psi. Stick to what the tire was designed for. If it's too soft for you, buy new ones that will accept higher pressure.

WHEW! I went to flatlander.com and was thoroughly intimidated! What else would you expect from a chick? I read a question someone had about getting a bike and being a beginner. The reccomendations weren't what I expected, but I read them anyhow.
I had no clue that there were bikes made for riding flat. I wonder what an old school GT will do to me since these new ones brag about stronger areas where you need them.
I'll send in the pics once I get themB|

i put my tires slightly under what it says, i jump alot of random things. The little less pressure gives a little more cushioning to the rim, saves me bending them all the time.. LOL
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

What are these GTs that you speak of? I was into freestyle in the 80's and Martin and Tony (team GT) were the shizzznit! I would love top get my hands on an original GT Performer/Pro Perfomer or Pro Freestyle Tour. Wanna sell a bike?
...FUN FOR ALL!

I had no clue that there were bikes made for riding flat

Bikes that are made for flatland in general tend to have a steeper headset angle; usually 75 degrees. And their top tube (or let's just say the front triangle) is a little shorter than ramp bikes. You'll want it short because you'll appreciate the crothc-clearance on tricks like the "decade" and "cherrypicker". The steeper headset angle responds quicker so tricks like the boomerang or tailwhip are easier to pull off.

Ramp bikes on the other hand, have about a 72 degree angle for the head set.

You can ride any bike flat or ramp. My Haro Sport (I think it was an '87 - has the wrap-around fork pegs, and L shaped rear platform) was built for ramp, but I rode flat with it too. The headset angle was also more forgiving for tricks like the "hang 5" (coasting on the front wheel with a foot on the front peg and seat on your butt)

If you weigh more than the average teenager, get the flatland specific tires that are higher pressure and some good (don't know if the Peregrines are still the ticket, but they were when I was a big kid) wheels with 72 spokes.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

On a family vacation with my SO a couple of years ago, my parents brought my Cycle Craft race bike. It was fun as hell to ride, and I was impressed with my ability to whip it around a little, so I got cocky and started riding a slow wheelie. It seems that when you are 50 punds heavier, your rear brake is not quite as good at overcoming your tendency to loop out, so smacked my @ss pretty good in front of the SO while showing off in the parking lot.

BMcD...

www.jumpelvis.com

I had a Haro Master for flat, and it was all but useless on the ramp. The headset angle was so steep that it would scare the crap out of you.

I agree with you that it is better to buy a street or ramp bike and set it up for flatland than to buy a flatland bike and try to force it onto the ramp. I wound up using my race bike for ramps, which kind of sucked, because I was always racing with tweaked rims.

BMcD...

www.jumpelvis.com