abean3

4-Ply or Polycotton?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the difference between Bevsuits Polycotton and Tonysuits 4-ply?

For us heavier jumpers (6'3, 240 lbs) needing extra lift to stay with slower/smaller jumpers, does one material offer more drag, comfort, or performance than the other?

I don't know the difference, but would think they are comparable if that is the obvious choice (highest drag fabric choice from each mfg) for a high drag suit.

You obviously want a high drag suit without having so much fabric that it looks like you're going early 80s retro. Tony offers a double layer of fabric for the arms, but it is not on their list of options. It is a good way of adding drag without so much loose fabric. Cordura booties and cordura/padded knees will also add drag. I never used the continuous swoop cords on my old Tony suit - not worth getting. Even the extra large 2 in. grippers all around (definitely get leg inseam grips) can add a bit of drag compared to the wimpy size grips that were standard in decades past. I don't know about vented booties.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

4 ply is a term used with supplex - very good supplex (supplex is a type of nylon, but don't think of the slippery nylon used on skinny divers, supplex is what you see on most suits nowadays - very sturdy, very nice)

poly cotton will give more drag, but post 2 pretty much highlights what I'd recommend a person tries as the biggest and best ways to slow down

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hey thanks for the input guys. I am looking to use it for coaching and eventually AFF. I want more range in speed than my freefly suit has to offer with out having a ton of material like you mentioned.

Do any of you know which material is more breathable/hot? Just curious because heavy material in the summer can be a bit toasty.

The Bev Polycotton suit is a suit design not just Polycotton construction material. It has pretty large wings. I bought one last year with booties, afterburners, and megagrips. It really allowed me to slowdown so I ( 5'10" 220lbs) can jump with my wife (5'4" 120lbs).

I also wanted the suit to add range. I falsely believed that a suit with a lot of fabric would allow me to fall slower and then speed up at will.

When you are in a group where you need to speed up while wearing your big boy suit one you are not flying. Once you get small to match fall rate, then add some inputs to get into the group you change your fall rate and have to start the process over again. Its frustrating on a 4 way and I can only imagine how bad it could be jumping with an unstable student. If you need to speed up in a big boy suit, you have really poor control.

There are some threads here about slowing down your fall rate. Cordura is supposed to be the slowest falling material, followed by polycotton.