mountainman

Sky Hook RSL - the discussion

At last count, eight other manufacturers had bought licenses to install Skyhooks in their rigs.
The price is reasonable, but the process includes video-taping 30 drop tests, etc.
I get the impression that Booth's primary motivation is to ensure that other manufacturers install Skyhooks CORRECTLY.

For instance a recent thread offered a free t-shirt for anyone's Skyhook story. Call me nuts, but the people who should get a prize are the ones who deploy on time, can recognize a malfunction, and then manage to pull two handles in the correct sequence.

Took the Skyhook ride, wrote the story, got the t-shirt. At no time during my spinning, line-twisted, ball of shit moment, did I think "Cool, if I let my Skyhook pull my reserve, I'll get a free t-shirt!!"

I did things just as if I didn't have a Skyhook, and had a perfect reserve over my head, before I had the silver handle out of its pocket.

I still pulled it, and in the correct order. So what's my prize??? ;)

At last count, eight other manufacturers had bought licenses to install Skyhooks in their rigs.

Do you know if any of those (other than Sunpath) are commercially available yet?

I'm sure you're right about ensuring correct installation. Bill indicated that the tolerances on the system are very tight... after taking a good look at my vector after the retrofit, I believe him.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Several other manufacturers are in the process of getting the Skyhook as an option on new rigs... I haven't heard anything about allowing retrofits on rigs other than Vectors,

any idea on the cost to retro a vector.

Even though UDSkyJunkie has already answered your question, I'd also encourage you to head to the http://www.uptvector.com website and dig around a bit. There are price lists, gear info...and contact info for their rigging department (who are VERY helpful with questions like yours, speaking from experience).

Didn't look like anyone answered one of your previous questions, so I'll chime in: to my knowledge, they can only retrofit Vector 3's (and as someone else said, if you already have an RSL, it's a little less expensive). I don't think Vector 2's/Vector 1's/Wonderhogs can really be retrofitted. ;) Again, talk to the UPT Rigging dept for more info.
Signatures are the new black.

Do you know if any of those (other than Sunpath) are commercially available yet?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

During the 2007 PIA Symposium, I had a lengthy conversation with Jeff Johnson - of Mirage Systems - about test drops he had done on Skyhook-equipped Mirages.
Sorry, but I do not know when Skyhook-equipped Mirages will be sold to mere mortals.