taylor.freefall

Different Riser Lengths

Purely out of interest but, in a nutshell, what is the difference between different riser lengths?
I've researched old threads but they become confusing when people start talking about swooping - or maybe that's answered my own question to a certain degree, or maybe it's purely user height, ie reach, or something that simple. Either way, it would be interesting to know...

Well, some risers are shorter and some are longer.

That's basically it.

Outside of competitive swooping, riser length is really important for someone's height (well, their arm reach). The longer the riser the longer the toggle stroke from full reach to full flare from the arms.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They also need to fit the rig. I used to see a lot of people wanting shorter risers to be able to reach the links but they were too short to be safe on rigs like a Vector II.

Could you elaborate on this, please?
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

It was common when riser covers were only one sided to see toggles and excess steering line floating in the wind behind the rig. Sometimes even suspension line. Risers had to be long enough to ensure they were secured in the main container. Before dive loops became common people liked to be able to reach the links to use as a handle. This would lead to shorter risers. I'm sure someone better at searching youtube can find an example.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Risers can be any length the designer chooses. They certainly must consider the issues already mentioned, but their length should coincide with the line length.
A Ram Air canopy has an arc with a point of concentricity at some point below the arc. The designer backs off this point to develop the overall line length then assigns a portion of this length to the riser. Longer risers shorter lines and vice versa.
Ask the manufacturer what they reccommend for the correct length.