jraf

Bomb found on skydiving airport

http://info.onet.pl/765689,11,item.html

According to this new a mushroom picker in Bialystok, Poland found a live World War II arial bomb dug in at the end of the airfield grass runway.

According to the Polish army core of engineers who were called to take care of the find it was a 500 lbs (250kg) that was droped over the airfield and sat there since WWII. Though it was dug in nearly 5 feet you could easily spot it.

According to the not the airfield is used mainly by small aircraft, ballonists and skydivers as well as a medivac and local police helicopter.

Duuuudes, can you imagine picking shrooms and steping on 500 lbs of rusted high explosives? Or having an out landing on one of these? B|

edited to make the title more catchyB|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Och Hans, there's stuff like this lying around all over the world, they keep showing up. In fact there were a couple in Aberdeen last month.

But this is leading me uncomfortably close to cluster bomblets, landmines, depleted uranium, and other assorted nasties that nobody wants to clear up either..........

I say we should deploy the cheapest form of ordinance disposal, and that is to to just leave the stuff where it is till kids start playing with it. They'll soon learn.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Out on the Florida barrier islands, the army, etc used to do practice stuff. Sit on the beach and shoot .50 cal at floating targets. Also they would launch mortars into the water.

After a big storm, you are guaranteed to find .50 cal casings everywhere. Every so often, a scuba diver comes up with a rusty mortar.

The big stuff is found when dredging the channel. My buddy pulled up a 250 lb practice bomb while working on a bridge.