fariz2000

Vigil late fire or Reserve PC stuck? 22.07.07, Russia

Jumper - me: Jumps 820+/year 120+/day - fifth
First jump with this rig at day.
Harness: Status Pro (Russia) 130/130 DOM 2006
Main Canopy: Magellan (Ukraine) 130 DOM 2006
Reserve: Techno 128 DOM 2006
AAD: Vigil DOM 2006
Athmosphere pressure doesn't change during a day.

AAD mode - STUDENT (!)

Standart jump from 4000 meters, deployment at 900.
Wingload - ~1.8+ (lead belt)

Video: http://slil.ru/24660597 - 4 Mb.

My biggest mistake in life. Swooping with AAD in Student mode. I was sure, that AAD in Pro mode, and doesn't check it. This is not my own rig, grab and run to plane. But tha happend? Vigil fires at 2 meters or AAD works good, but PC stuck? Now I'am waiting for logs from AAD.
... fall ...

Video also on skydivingmovies.com.

Not really an incident. Expect this thread to be moved.

Gear and Rigging most likely... :P If you're not jumping your own gear, you really need to check the borrowed gear real good or have a rigger go over it with you. Chances are that Vigil setup could have been caught.

Now you know.... Vigils have been known to fire for some reasons. There are threads on here about this.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Gear and Rigging most likely... :P If you're not jumping your own gear, you really need to check the borrowed gear real good or have a rigger go over it with you. Chances are that Vigil setup could have been caught.

Now you know.... Vigils have been known to fire for some reasons. There are threads on here about this.

This is rental rig at DZ, and familiar to me. Before it alyways was set up in PRO.
... fall ...

Video also on skydivingmovies.com.

Not really and incident. Expect this thread to be moved.

I'm mixed about it , if it happened a bit higher and inflated with a two out what would have been the results? potental to be a lot worse and a good learning point on all the AADs that have multi modes
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

My DZ has a rental rig which can be setup for BOC or ROL.

If I go low on it searching for the BOC when I haven't noticed I jumped it when its set up for ROL, should I blame the rig, the manufacturer, OR MYSELF AND MY SLOPPY PRE JUMP GEAR CHECK???

I'd feel stoopid. If I was as stoopid as I felt, I might even try to assuage the blame. Then again, I hope I'd be a big enough person/skydiver to say

"Jeeze, my lack of a gearcheck nearly killed me"

YMMV. (AKA - Grow up and take responsibility for your actions)

Craig

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

If I go low on it searching for the BOC when I haven't noticed I jumped it when its set up for ROL, should I blame the rig, the manufacturer, OR MYSELF AND MY SLOPPY PRE JUMP GEAR CHECK???

I'd feel stoopid. If I was as stoopid as I felt, I might even try to assuage the blame. Then again, I hope I'd be a big enough person/skydiver to say

"Jeeze, my lack of a gearcheck nearly killed me"

YMMV. (AKA - Grow up and take responsibility for your actions)

Craig

No shame on manufacturer or AAD in case of my mistake (lack of a gearcheck). I'am a moron in this act. But in this case gear problem saved my health (or life). Latest news from AAD dealer - according to a Vigil log data, unit has fired at 63 meters.
... fall ...

What is the point of having it set up for both methods? Do they change it from jump to jump depending on who is using it? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

It's setup for both so people trained by either method can jump it.

It's changable by the jump depending in who uses it.

It's P.F.O. which way it's setup. Orange handle on the legstrap, ROL, Orange handle on the B.O.C., B.O.C.

Like I said, a simple gearcheck will pick it up. (Like it wil check how a multimode AAD is set...)

Recipe for disaster? Only if you're foolish/stoopid/both.

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

No shame on manufacturer or AAD in case of my mistake (lack of a gearcheck). I'am a moron in this act. But in this case gear problem saved my health (or life). Latest news from AAD dealer - according to a Vigil log data, unit has fired at 63 meters.

I doubt that it was your fault.

With other words: Do you believe that an AAD works properly (regardless of mode) if it

- fires when your vertical speed is zero

- and records that the activation altitude was 63 meters but the truth is that it fired at 0,63 meters?

Do you think this depends on the mode you've choosen?

Don't be a Lutz!

I doubt that it was your fault.
With other words: Do you believe that an AAD works properly (regardless of mode) if it
- fires when your vertical speed is zero
- and records that the activation altitude was 63 meters but the truth is that it fired at 0,63 meters?
Do you think this depends on the mode you've choosen?

Forget about AAD! Unit have done its job well, and fired according to algorithm. I belive that spring pilot chute didn'ta way out in time. At this harness cutter is placed at PC trampline. (sorry for poor english). Some time ago same problem happned with Mirage, and there is plenry of bulletins abot cutter unit location. (heel'of English!) ;)
... fall ...

I saw the video and this is really terrible, his swoop wasn't that radical, even in student mode I don't see how the vigil fire can be justified-this is deadly serious-i will never jump a rig with a vigil, period. This thing shouldn't of fired-I don't see how the jumper could possibly be at fault, it din't fire in freefall, he didn't open low, it detonated seconds before touchdown, watch the video. What if it had fired when he was on the step. Adriann Nicolas was going fast when his cypress fired, this guy was going relatively slow.
SCR-21

At 200' (63m) you probably crossed the cutoff velocity and the unit decided to fire. As for the reserve not coming out that strikes me as a far more serious question to ask the rigger when the reserve system is inspected. Maybe incorrect loop material was used? Maybe the cutter was defective, maybe the PC spring wasn't in spec.

-Michael

I would have to agree with Hackish. A lot of people are assuming the Vigil fired at the moment of of deployment. Maybe it did fire at 63m and there was some other serious deployment malfunction. Don't get me wrong, if it did deploy at that moment and recorded it as 63m then there is a very serious issue with the Vigil. I have been considering purchasing the Vigil 2 and have been reading intently about any incidents involving both the Vigil and Cypress. It seems the Vigil comes under much closer scrutiny than the Cypress.