baronn

Re-use lost freebag?

>Working fine does not mean it is Airworthy . . .

That's sorta the definition. If it works fine and its use is not contraindicated by the manufacturer - it's airworthy. You may choose not to use it, but that's personal choice, not a matter of airworthiness.

Here is where I wish I had a chemistry degree... and further is indicative of the sample size of one issue I mentioned.

Hypothetical...

Freebag sits out in potentially pesticide laden cornfield for 2 months...

Owner brings it back to you and asks, can we use it?

My instant response would have been "No fricken way."

Why?

Lets say I pull test (although I am aware of no pull tests that are officially defined for this scenario and various fabric types involved - pc material, bridle, free bag) following acid-mesh guidelines. It passes. Do I know for sure that whatever chemicals it was exposed to won't continue to percolate while on the repack cycle and take it into some un-airworthy condition?

No. I am not smart enough to know what chemicals it was exposed to, how long these chemicals take to take effect, how to neutralize these chemicals, etc.

So I will assume that is un-airworthy. Even if some other rigger had packed it up and there had been a subsequent reserve ride on it (i.e. it worked fine the one time it was used afterward), that one sample size gives me as a rigger no warm and fuzzy that is is perpetually airworthy thereafter.

Obviously, and as you say, it is a matter of personal decision on the part of the rigger. Am I being a little over-anal? Probably. But I'd rather have the un-needed cost of a freebag and PC on my conscience than someone's life.

The obvious counter to my argument (and one which I will freely admit I have no counter to) is that this whole scenario outlined means that I have to have complete comfort over what every component of the rig has been exposed to in the last 120 days. Which is of course impossible. I have no idea if the owner kept the thing in his trunk in the summer next to an old car battery every day.

But... if I know for sure that at least one component has been put "at risk", and I have no approved way of verifying strength/safety of that component, I'll pass on packing that component.

So, is it possible that it is technically airworthy? Sure.

Will I bet my customer's life and my guilt on that? Not if I can help it. But that is me, and I freely admit that I was way over-anal in my rigging days.

Bill... suspect you are approaching this from a strictly technical/legal definition of "airworthy", and that really there is no disagreement here.

Here's a hypothetical. Swooper hooks it low and ends up in the pond, ass over tea kettle. The entire rig has now been exposed to lawn fertilizer, pesticides/ insecticides, water sterilizer, alge, human and pet urine, fecies (running down said swoopers leg), mud and dirt, and is as soaked as Moby's dick. Do we throw it all out? Probably not. More likely it gets a good drying and a once over and packed again.
Why? well one reason is that swoopers are a rowdy bunch. And will probably burn you at the stake (along with all the molar bags you condemned):P. Or, the gear is still useable.
Being picky and selective about your clients gear is a good thing. Throwing out useable gear is not, for sure if the manufacturer has no objection to it.;)

>Do I know for sure that whatever chemicals it was exposed to won't continue to
>percolate while on the repack cycle and take it into some un-airworthy condition?

No, you don't; that can happen with a great many chemicals. Like I said, you can choose to not jump it (or repack) if you like; that's up to you. Indeed, if you're not sure, it's probably a good call.

But let's take this scenario. You get a new customer. He gives you his rig he just bought it from a friend, a 14 year old Super Raven in a 12 year old Talon. It looks like it's in reasonable shape. You start asking him about it.

"How many reserve rides does this reserve have on it?"
"One; the guy said so."
"Did he assemble it with the original rig?"
"I don't know. He said he bought the reserve and the container used just before the previous owner died. But he said it worked pretty well."
"Do you have the previous data card? This one only goes back to 2007."
"No, he never gave me that."
"How many reserve rides did that previous owner have on it?"
"I don't know. But he did CRW if that helps."
"How many repacks?"
"Don't know."
"Did the rig ever land in water?"
"Don't know. Maybe. He was a demo guy."
"Was the rig ever exposed to chemicals?"
"Don't know."

Do you inspect and repack it? (assuming you don't find anything problematic)