JasonMax

Brand New, Need gear and advice

I have heard a ton of good, and a little bad about Skyhooks. I have heard that the Vector 3 is the best thing out there. I am brand new so I really have no idea. I am just finishing AFF. Some people have told me to hold off on buying equipment until I have made 100 jumps (so that I can buy a smaller canopy).

I want the opinions of experts...

Jason

Talk to your instructors. Their opinions are the ones that should really influence your decision.

Having said that, I would wait to buy gear. You should get gear that is right for you now and the gear that is right for you now is probably not going to be right for you in 50 jumps.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Reseach some of the previous many threads discussed about new rigs and canopy size and jump number as you will find a plethora of information there.

I'm no expert but somewhat knowledgable about gear and love my V3 but thats just me and my opinion.

In regards to a canopy you DON'T HAVE to downsize canopies, many people choose to stay on their original canopies and never downsize bit it's just what you want/prefer. G'luck finding the appropriate gear for you have fun and be safe!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Buy used and jump. When you're ready to downsize again you'll have better gear knowledge and will know exactly what you want from new when you're spending a ton of cash, will have the new rig for longer and will be less likely to muck up your lovely new gear getting dragged through the mud.

Look into buying a used rig that holds whatever sized canopy your instructors advise. Find a rig that is 'snug' for the canopy, and you should have no problem if (when) you want to downsize keeping the rig and just putting a smaller canopy in it. You can generally sell one used main and buy another for about the same money, so the downsize (or buying a bigger canopy to start with) doesn't have to really cost much of anything.

The truth about gear is that new gear doesn't make much sense for anyone who's not going to put 500+ jumps on it. Much less than that, and you end up eating a ton of cash when you go to sell the rig.

Used gear, on the other hand, can usually be had for $1 or $2 a jump, in that if you buy a $2500 used rig, keep it for a year and 100 jumps, you should be able to sell it for $2300. it just makes more sense in your 'early'
days of jumping when you'll be switching around canopies, and maybe even switching around rigs to see what's what, and what you really like. If you deal in used rigs, you can do it all with very little additional cash outlay beyond the original purchase price.

Look into buying a used rig that holds whatever sized canopy your instructors advise. Find a rig that is 'snug' for the canopy, and you should have no problem if (when) you want to downsize keeping the rig and just putting a smaller canopy in it. You can generally sell one used main and buy another for about the same money, so the downsize (or buying a bigger canopy to start with) doesn't have to really cost much of anything.

The truth about gear is that new gear doesn't make much sense for anyone who's not going to put 500+ jumps on it. Much less than that, and you end up eating a ton of cash when you go to sell the rig.

Used gear, on the other hand, can usually be had for $1 or $2 a jump, in that if you buy a $2500 used rig, keep it for a year and 100 jumps, you should be able to sell it for $2300. it just makes more sense in your 'early'
days of jumping when you'll be switching around canopies, and maybe even switching around rigs to see what's what, and what you really like. If you deal in used rigs, you can do it all with very little additional cash outlay beyond the original purchase price.

Hell, I've been jumping 9 years and still never had a new container or reserve.
I bought a new main once, ended up selling it after 80 jumps and ate $500 on it.
First 200 jumps was on a 1995 NL Infinity, Raven reserve, PD Silhouette 210, and a Cyp1 with 4 years left. - $1900 in 2003.

Buy used.

You can often find used gear at reasonable prices... but try to find local jumpers with experience and contacts who can help you choose what to get and help you wade through all the various possibilities and brands, etc.

A ton of stuff is just personal preference and it's a lot to absorb at once, but keep asking questions... there's also a TON of posts in the forums here... if you read enough of them you'll get a pretty good starting place...

I am replying to this post but this goes for all the posts above...thank you for the great information. I just made my first AFF on Sunday, I would have gone for 2 and 3 but there were no more loads going up. It was amazing and I passed. I am planning to be up there this weekend and to finish the AFF. After I do my AFF I really want to buy my gear. I will most likely trust the advice of the jumpmasters who are teaching me and the DZO. At this point I don't get the "smaller canopy" thing, but maybe I will after 100 jumps.

thanks again!

Jason

I am replying to this post but this goes for all the posts above...thank you for the great information. I just made my first AFF on Sunday, I would have gone for 2 and 3 but there were no more loads going up. It was amazing and I passed. I am planning to be up there this weekend and to finish the AFF. After I do my AFF I really want to buy my gear. I will most likely trust the advice of the jumpmasters who are teaching me and the DZO. At this point I don't get the "smaller canopy" thing, but maybe I will after 100 jumps.

Congrats on passing!B|

And don't worry,
I don't get the smaller canopy thing either...maybe I will after 5000 jumps! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~