n2skdvn

What OS do you use??

I have 2 Osborne Executive in a closet at home...

Now I wonder who's actually heard of those before or even know what they are?

I have...

One company I worked for had a theatre/studio
dimming system (control voltage) that was based
on the Tandy RS/whareverthehellitwas PC; I believe
WHYY/TV (Philly PBS) had one too. Just a step up
from the Oz.

Here I have XP and Suse Linux Pro 7.1 on seperate
partitions, and I'm within spitting distance of five
expanded Amiga 500's and a Mac Performa 400.

Yeah, I remember them. That's what Apple wanted me to buy since they discontinued the LISA even before they had shipped them.

The original MAC OS made Win 9x look stable. I really liked the Bomb ICON when the OS blew it's brains out.

At least Apple had a sense of humor, all Microsoft could do was make a screen turn blue. ;)
Lou

The original MAC OS made Win 9x look stable. I really liked the Bomb ICON when the OS blew it's brains out.

At least Apple had a sense of humor, all Microsoft could do was make a screen turn blue.

On a crash the Amiga OS would give you a
couple of different flavors of "Guru Error Message",
and some crashes could be downright Technocolor
explosions, truly awesome compared to anything
the big machines did. If you had little RAM the
rule was "Save early, save often." Those were the
days...

[reply If you had little RAM the
rule was "Save early, save often." Those were the
days...

With computers, my motto is:

Next week, those are the days . . .

Lou

I quad-boot my Athlon 850 into:

XP, 98SE, Slackware and Debian.

XP I use day to day.

98SE I use for a good Banshee optimized video driver (XMojoMotion I think it is). I use it to play Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed online (yes, I even have a Momo Force set up). I haven't been racing on there for awhile though. Yes, I know there are third-party banshee drivers for XP, but 98 just seems to have the best frame-rate with the third-party drivers I have found (I think I've tried them ALL in both OSs).

I've tried other Linuces, i.e., RedHat (7 & 8) and Mandy9. I'm just a Linux newbie but RedHat (and Mandy) seemed to try to make it too easy. (I'm sure if I knew enough about Linux they would be great). For example, my fstab file seemed to get "reset" all the time on reboot, like RedHat was copying some 'master' file from somewhere. I haven't seen this problem with Slack.

I was a little intimidated when I installed Slack9 but I have to say it has been the easiest to use. I did the "everything" install and I was shocked at how easily I could do stuff with it. Slack9 just plain works. Including NTSF support (no, I do not use write support, even though it seems enabled via default "mount" without specifying the -ro option which I have become accustomed to using).

I installed Deb (Woody) just for the heck of it (it is popular). I can give Debian awesome credit for "apt-get." That has to be the single most amazing tool I've ever used in Linux :)
In fact, installing Linux distros is the only reason I bought a CD-RW. I don't have a CD player in my car and I've only burned maybe one audio CD. The rest are Linux distros :S.

Edited to add: Oh yeah...and trying to figure out Debiean's init runlevels drove me insane...Jeez...Slack wins again on that point.

Yes, I know it is snowing.
No, we are not putting the top up.

Athlon XP2600/333 running Windows XP Pro
Athlon XP1900/266 running Mandrake Linux 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21
An SGI Octane running IRIX 6.5.12m (My Precioussssss!)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™