crapflinger2000

brain teaser

Wha? It's not 90%? That what I came up with, too...

This is where the big brain is needed. I'll give you a hint.... Your 1/2 right with what you have said. Let me know when to post the answer if it does not pop up soon... I am not kidding when I say that 90% is close but not right probability to answer the question....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

but you are not factoring in social and physical probabilities.

Size being one of them. if you have 45 pennies, your hands will tend to shape themselves as to accomodate that size of coin, or bigger. In that way the Dimes have a better than average chance of being dropped. Now the probability is not as high as the penny, but it effects the probability equation.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It is not a brain buster to break into social realisms or to consider eclectic thought processes on. It is a mathematically straight forward question, DAMN, after the fast answer to the gold bar question I figured this would get solved ASAP….

Scott C.

Here you go, since the ansewr is kinda out there now:

The probability that you/he dropped a penny is 85 percent. There are only two ways in which fifty coins can total $1.00. One is forty-five pennies, two nickels, two dimes, and a quarter; the other is forty pennies, eight nickels, and two dimes. So there are eighty-five chances out of one hundred that the coin was a penny.

Want another one?????

Scott C.

Okay... i REALLY was writing my reply when you answered.

Since your post was the same time as mine I believe you.... splittail1 has the big brain for this one..... And your prize (drum roll) …. a big dose of personal satisfaction and envy from the rest of so called big brains out there

Scott C.

OK, based on the surface area of the coins:

penny
Diameter: 19 millimeters

nickel
Diameter: 21.2 millimeters

dime
Diameter: 17.9 millimeters

quarter
Diameter: 24.3 millimeters

Assuming all are US coins, all are new, and you have 45 pennies, 2 nickels, 2 dimes and a quarter.

Pennies have a one sided surface area of 2686.068 millimeters squared.

All others have a one sided surface area of 253.40803214667685255920550038197 millimeter squared.

Using these numbers you have a 10.599774510877612738443822478994:1 chance of dropping a penny.:S

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

Since this went over so well, here is another one to mull over.....

You have decided to take a morning run to prepare for the local marathon at an average speed of 6 miles per hour. Unfortunately, you are not in as good shape as you thought, and you are running uphill. You find that for the first half of the run, all uphill, your average speed was only 3 miles per hour. How fast must you run on the way back, all downhill, to make for an entire round trip average speed of 6 miles per hour?

Have big brain fun

Scott C.

How foolish of me to stick with my straight forward probability answer. I still don’t think DTOXX is right though even with the well thought out engineering big brain answer. I believe him to be inaccurate because he failed to take into account how factors such as humidly and density altitude effect the person holding the coins. Not to mention the possibility that barometric pressure may be altered due to a fast moving through the area where the holder is standing causing his body to be altered in its metabolic rates which would then in turn alter the probability that DTOXX gave thus making him close but wrong.

The more I think about it I am going to stick with my 85%, I like that answer.

Scott C.

Not 1/2 right, in fact not right at all..... Sorry... This is not as easy as the coins though it does have an answer.

Scottt C.

>:(

This doesn't have something to do with the fact that you're going downhill, does it?

It shouldn't- average is average. And don't tell me you only have to run 4.5mph because if your speed was halved going up, it will be doubled coming down... you'll still have to travel at 9mph.

"All right brain- I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just get through this so I can go back to killing you with beer."

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?