leroydb

DZ.com PW instant messenger needed

i assume one would just clone their engine

That'd be COPYRIGHT infringement, you have to use a PUBLIC protocol, design your own or LICENSE an existing one.

Install Yahoo msgr. create a DZCOM group and add your buddies, SIMPLE. ;)

Work smarter, not harder I say.

just lazy..

i assume one would just clone their engine

Me too.. have to sit still for too long.
Since there are a bunch of smarties who maintain this site, I would assume that there is a reason we just have PM's and no IM. I would assume that the reason is that this is, for the most part, a site for posting questions and information regarding skydiving. IM's are not searchable. The forums are a good .. um.. forum.. in which to find information, and they work well on this site.
Hopefully that made sense.. I have a fever and feel a little incoherent.

LOL...

as a matter of fact, one of my HOME projects is to build an IM server...
It'll be a two or three weeks til it's live on the net.

If the DZ.commers want to use it, that's cool as long as my bandwidth doesn't go off the wall...

If anyone's really interested, PM me and I'll let you know when it's live..
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I once wrote an IM in C#, to learn the language. I never finished it, but it's basically done. The protocol and the communications are all finished.

The interesting thing is, it's decentralized. You need to know the IP of the person you're communicating with. One person can send another person all of his contacts, so it works like a giant spiderweb. I know that there can be a problem with two clients with dynamic IPs, I tried to solve it, but I never tested the effectiveness of my solution.

It's also completely secure, and not like ICQ kind of secure. Every single connection is encrypted with a key generated for that specific connection, so even if I could extract your key from the communications and impersonate you, I will only be able to talk to myself. Also, you can receive messages only from people on your "buddy" list. If someone not on your list contacts you, he is placed in a "contact" list, from which you can move him to your "buddy" list. So flooding and spamming is impossible.

I guess we could use it...

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

If the Messenger is for THIS board only, it would be easier, we could use the LOGIN presence and add the logged users to the list, then you could just CHOOSE which user you want to IM, type the message and send it, I said easier because we would be using the information that this board (server) already have, however, the use of bandwidth would be elevated.

But that means someone has to go and write a program!:P

Also, if you want to use a direct connection between the users, you will need to know the IP of the destination, which will require the involvement of HH. Of course, this is still a lot less bandwidth than PMs and requires no storage space. This raises the ugly head of potential abuse, since there will now be a mechanism for an ordinary user to retrieve the IP of another user.

EDITED TO ADD: We can make the delivery of the message server-side, but this removes all bandwidth benefits. Only difference is that the messages are not stored on HHs server, which, as I understand, isn't really an issue anyway, at least not in comparison to the size of Talkback and the boobie threads;)

The program is not that easy to write. For example, what happens if both users are firewalled and a direct connection cannot be established? Do you send a PM?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I just wrote the SHELL, the rest of the code can be done by someone else :D:D:D the code is tiny, but larger that 60K so I can't upload it here.

If the user is firewalled would be no problem, since we would be using this board's resources.

Anyone have a WEB space to upload this little code? (81K) :)

No need to reinvent the wheel here. Get a Jabber server setup. The server is under the GPL and there's a number of free clients out there for Win32, Mac, Linux, and Java capable operating systems.

It's actually a very good system. I set one up at work a month or two back so we could shoot IMs across our office. I'm working on setting up another one at home... I should probably just go into work to nab the configuration file I wrote there to set it up here.

Works like a champ, and if Sangiro offered me access to the backend DB here I could probably hack something into it so you'd authenticate against the same user database. At the very least I could migrate all the account information into their existing system to bootstrap it. You'd have to maintain two seperate passwords for them with the latter solution though.

You can check it out here: http://www.jabber.org

Yeah.. I'll second that.. That's what I am using as well (Jabber). I Had a server running at work for the techs to talk to each other. I was a little dissapointed with the web client tho, since you had to use IE.There's also gateways for AOL , Yahoo and I think MSN. It'll be intersting tho cause MSN and I believe AOL are moving to a platform that won't allow 3rd party vendors to connect.
The commercial product is pretty snazzy but the GNU is just as good.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1