konradptr

How do I get my own domain name???

I know enough about computers, but never ventured this far.

I want my name to be on the web, like www.peterfreefly.com, but don't know how to go about it. I would assume that nobody is squatting on the rights to peterfreefly.com. I would like to keep it to a simple, 5ish page website, little traffic, with two or three emails like [email protected]. Who do I talk to, to not only get the site registered, but also to have the server space to post my pictures and stuff?

Thanks

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

http://www.internic.com/alpha.html

This page lists all the companies that are recognized by interNIC (the association who manages domain names (.com, .net and .org) on the internet. Pick one. I went with Network Solutions because they're a big name and efficient. You can do a domain search too, to see if your choice in domain names has already been registered.

Hope that helps.

Marz

So what kind of prices are we looking at for a year of service and setting up that name?

Registering a domain name, depends on where you go, but is usually around $20/year or so. If you don't want annoying pop-up crap that you get with the 'free' hosting sites, you'll spend another $5-10/month for hosting.
There's a number of places around that will pay for your domain name if you get your hosting with them - $100/year should give you everything you need and more :)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Try http://www.godaddy.com. Cheap and effective, it's like $6-15/yr and they do a decent job.

Network Solutions is a huge pain in the butt and they've screwed up every transaction I've had with them over the past 10 years, so I strongly recommend AGAINST them.

Lots of other good companies out there who don't have the history of corruption and inefficiency they do.

Have fun!!
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Agreed, no point in sticking with Network Solutions since they are no longer a monopoly. Go Daddy works well. If you are looking for a good host, scope out www.myprohost.com Very friendly, cheap, and you can run anything you want, PHP, mod_perl, shopping carts, forums, etc, etc. If you are interested, let me know, I will speak with John, they headman, he is a real nice guy.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Nobody else mentioned this, but here's the slightly techy details of how it works.

1) get domian name. Network solutions, Go daddy, register.com, etc, they all work. I like register.com (even if it's not the chepeast)... their website is usually easier to navigate than Network Solution.

2) Find hosting provider... you'll need DNS an web for this. You'd be best off keeping the domain name -yours- and not registered by a 3rd party if you ask me. It's more hassle, but you can move stuff around more freely. Get a web hosting provider, setup your site there and then use your website (network solutions, go daddy, whatever) to point your primary and secondary DNS entries to whatever they tell you to.

3) Build webpage, upload to their site.

That's about it for a website really. I'm a little lucky here since I've got a contract gig with a guy I went to high school with that runs his own ISP so I dump DNS onto his machines and point my website/mail back to a machine in my apartment at the end of a DSL line w/ static IP. I love it. I've seen a server get slashdotted with my own eyes even. That's fun... if you're a nerd. Like me.