jbane3

Micron, Wings or Mirage?....who to pick....?

Why would you avoid a Vector container if you need a 260 canopy? I don't see how it relates, but they do make Vectors that fit that size canopy here is a the size chart

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart_11_28_58(1).pdf

You would be looking at something around a V375 or V382 or something else depending on your body type

Also Javelin offers skyhook as well as Aerodyne in answering your other question, but Bill Booth owner of UPT aka Vector did invent the the skyhook system ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Why would you avoid a Vector container if you need a 260 canopy? I don't see how it relates, but they do make Vectors that fit that size canopy here is a the size chart

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart_11_28_58(1).pdf

You would be looking at something around a V375 or V382 or something else depending on your body type

Also Javelin offers skyhook as well as Aerodyne in answering your other question, but Bill Booth owner of UPT aka Vector did invent the the skyhook system ;)

Thank you very much! It explained much. Javelin or Vector seem as good alternatives.

Stripped I expect to weigh 206-211 lbs. When looking at main canopies I would be classified as a novice with a Pulse 230 but as an intermediate with a Silhouette 260. I look for conservative, but should Pulse be a better option because of my weight?

If you get a mirage be careful about getting a Cypres. I have already pulled 5 broken cutters out of mirages. By broken I mean the breaking of the plastic sheath that is supposed to protect the cable cutter connection point...the cutter seems to remain functional (i don't test them). I send them back to Airtec and they replace/or repair them for free. The cutters that come back have a different, a more malleable, sheath.

...make sure that the rig is sized to comfortably hold the canopies you intend to put in there. All rigs can hold a few sizes of main and reserve, with some being tighter, and some being looser. Lean toward the looser end of the scale, and you'll have a rig that is softer, more flexible, and once again, easier to pack.

Some people are hung up on having a small rig, just don't be one of those guys. Even a larger sport rig will be much smaller than you're used to in the military. Also, keep in mind that any rig assembled with canopies reccomended by the manufacturer is going to be 'safe', so a loose fit doesn't really mean 'loose', is just means 'looser' than what would cause an average packer a hard time to get in there.

A nod to everything Dave has said in this thread with particular attention to this. You can take any brand of rig out there and put a reserve that's poorly suited to it (usually too big) and/or have a rigger do a poor job distributing the bulk in the reserve container and cause all sorts of problems. From a stiff and uncomfortable fit to riser covers and pin flaps that won't stay closed to damaged AAD cutter cables.

Also note that some container designs don't scale to larger sizes as well as others. It would seem all the manufacturers have the tiny rig thing down pretty well, but milage tends to vary more as you get bigger. Keep that and mind as you get inputs from people about what they like and don't like about their rigs.

When choosing mirage go for the smaller sized reserve that you can put in,
For example, mt fits 120 to 135 reserve, don't pick the 135 especially if you use aad.
It also depends on where you live, 135 packs smaller at florida vs southern california.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Thank you very much! It explained much. Javelin or Vector seem as good alternatives.

Stripped I expect to weigh 206-211 lbs. When looking at main canopies I would be classified as a novice with a Pulse 230 but as an intermediate with a Silhouette 260. I look for conservative, but should Pulse be a better option because of my weight?

I don't really give canopy size advice/information on DZ.com since you should be receiving the best advice from your current instructors at your DZ, nor do I have the experience to. On the other hand don't necessarily look at the categories the canopy falls into but more about your WL which is your total weight divided by canopy size. I'm sure your instructors will provide the much information needed.

Keep in mind you want to add around 25lbs or 11kg for gear weight. Ideally right after receiving your license you want to stay around a WL of 1:1 , but yes the Pulse is a great canopy for a beginner plus slightly easier to pack due to the different bottom skin fabric and packs up approximately 1-2 sizes smaller than a Silhouette depending on which size canopy you order. A Pulse 230 may be a good first canopy, but check with your instructors prior to purchasing the canopy. Cheers, stay safe, & G'luck!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Has anyone else heard about this issue with cypres and mirage? Can't seem to find imformation on this and was looking to buy this combination myself. Thinking twice about it now...

I've had it happen on one of my rigs actually. It was after I had checked my rig in my luggage on a commercial flight and I presume it got handled roughly. SSK replaced the cutter at no charge and the rigger I use believes that with appropriate precautions it can be avoided.

If you call up SSK and ask them about it they can probably fill you in.

Is this a mirage issue or a cypres issue? Could this occur with a mirage and a vigil? What about with an infinity and cypres? Trying to understand if this only can occur with mirage / cypres and what is unique about the mirage cypres combination? Also if this is a known issue why hasn't either company done anything to resolve this?

Is this a mirage issue or a cypres issue? Could this occur with a mirage and a vigil? What about with an infinity and cypres? Trying to understand if this only can occur with mirage / cypres and what is unique about the mirage cypres combination? Also if this is a known issue why hasn't either company done anything to resolve this?

It has to do with the cutter being on the flap above the reserve pilot chute, the length of the cutter body, and the radius of the top cap of the reserve pilot chute (and how the whole thing is packed up.) I'm not a rigger and I'm not familiar enough with other manufacturers to say how susceptible other AADs or rigs might be.