kd5xb

Question re: Sky Sports Benny

I'm thinking of buying a Sky Sports Benny. At this point, I'm thinking that it will do just fine for a jumper at my level. It costs about $60, so won't break the bank, and looks a little nicer than the ubiquitous Protec.

http://www.skysystemsusa.com/helmets/benny.php

Anybody have any experience with it?

I'm almost (but not quite) afraid to ask, but -- would anybody offer up opinions on it?

Thanks,
Earl
Clovis, NM USA
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Actually, I'm thinking of getting one in OD and putting a Marine Corps spin on it!

Thanks for the info, BTW!
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I'm thinking of buying a Sky Sports Benny. At this point, I'm thinking that it will do just fine for a jumper at my level. It costs about $60, so won't break the bank, and looks a little nicer than the ubiquitous Protec.

[

This is what I use. Its a fine helmet. It will not provide as much protection as the protec. The shell isnt as tough. Still, it will protect your head better than many far more expensive helmets and looks pretty decent.

I have a ContourHD mounted on mine as well (and I didnt do that till I had over 200 jumps)

I did take the "Benny" decals off of it because my name isnt Benny, and its kind of silly name for a helmet ;)
__

My mighty steed

Hey Earl,
I've >30 jumps on mine. I think they provide better protection than a Protec, provided you don't wear an XL. They all have the same shell size. The thickness of the foam padding determines the helmet's size. My size LG fits better than any Protec I've ever tried, & offers very good protection. New pad sets only cost $20. I managed to fit an Audible inside mine, as well. They're great helmets. You won't be disappointed.

The benny was my first helmet, had it through my student progression and occasionally use it today but not so much since I got the G2. I am in the market for a new open face.

If you plan on jumping quite a bit, my personal opinion would be to invest in a better helmet.

Yes, I know, the benny is a popular first time helmet, great price and offers protection. What it doesn't offer is comfort, quality, and secure place for your audible.

The foam padding is not very comfortable and the velcro that holds it in barely does its job. The chin strap could also use some improvement. It's almost impossible for my audible to stay in the benny. Instead of there being a pocket, its more or less a hole in the side. I guess you could secure it with tape but I would prefer a pocket instead.

Our gear store sold then for $75, so a little markup, but regardless, looking back I would have rather put that $75 into something of better quality...say maybe a bonehead all sport or guner...decent price, thermal liner, nice features and good quality. Hell, I think I just sold myself on one...

Thanks for all the opinions.

I'm currently a student again. It's been 28 years since I was an active jumper and I may never progress any further, so a $300 helmet just doesn't make sense right now.

Speaking of comfort - the Protec tends to fold my ears down! THAT'S hard to deal with!

You know, I'd still feel comfortable in a Cooper SK-600...

so a $300 helmet just doesn't make sense right now.

The time will never come when $300+ for a helmet makes sense, especially when you consider how flimsy all the cool, expensive helmets are.

I'm no skygod, but I'm not a total newb either and the Benny works just fine for me. Cant really say I get why it would be good for a beginner and not for an experienced jumper.
__

My mighty steed