DBCOOPER

Anybody know Excel formulas?

Got a log book and a half where I haven't added up freefall time.Looking for a formula where I could just enter altitude it would calculate time
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

would work if you always fall at the same speed...
or if you'd like to have a"standard according to altitude", you can do a conditionnal formula
like : if altitude =13000 ft then time =1
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Pah, pooters, I fly em, I don't fix em...;)
check the 'about' tab the author's e-mail is there, and he says he will give you the 'source code'.

I'll look for the back up calc stuff somewhere else meantime. I'm sure its been posted.:)
I'm sure I have a wee note in my log book about delays from various alts up to terminal.....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

What I wanted to do was something like this.

Jump #...Exit......Time.......Previous total
.........................................2:30:15
200.........13.5.......X.............2:31:27
201.........14..........X.............2:32:42

Where the only thing that I would have to enter would be the exit value.Every thing else would be a formula.

Really quick estimate based on 6 seconds per 1000 feet of freefall. You could easily turn some constants into variables to get a better estimate for each jump....

=[(Exit Altitude)-(Opening Altitude)]*6/1000

Just replace the altitudes as i wrote them with labels to the cells containing those numbers (or just change opening altitude to whatever altitude you normally pull at).

So, if you exit at 13,000, open at 3000, you get:

[(13000 - 3000)*6]/1000 = 60 seconds.

To convert seconds to hours:minutes:seconds you'll have to get fancier but i'm sure excel has a built in function for that.

Dave

I frequently open at other altitudes. But, DB's request was a formula where he could just enter exit alti. Adding deployment alti would be easy.

And jumping from zero... not so much fun. I added the condition to prevent the negative numbers resulting from having a zero or null response to exit altitude. Otherwise, accumulated freefall time would have numbers subtracted from it on jumps that you had not yet entered.

Capiche?

Still trying to figure out a way to have it properly calculate time. But, I have to get to work. And, there isn't anything fun about not working, either.

ac

speaking of excel spreadsheets.. here is a sheet I made that keeps track of how many jumps at each dz, on which canopy, per year, what date for each 00 jump, how many days per hundred jumps and how long in the sport.. oh yeah and when my next repack is due.. yep.. I'm a dork. :S
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Here is what I've come up with so far.
=(D3-3)*6+6
Where D3 = exit altitude i.e. 13.5 minus 3 for 3000 deployment times 6 seconds per thousand plus 6 seconds for the first 1000 feet to accelerate.
In order to make it not calculate into negative numbers on the totals I just entered 2 as exit altitude in all of the jumps not entered.
I can only get the total time in tenths of a minute
totals will be minutes and tenths of a minute.