trentt

Why Wait???

From a few of the responses that I got to a previous thread, I started thinking about a topic that is far more important. To sum it up, the topic is how long should you wait before having sex. I know this has been talked about before, but I think I have a little different angle on it.

So I can think of 3 categories that can be interpreted as the 'length' of time you wait:
1. Wait until you are a certain age (16, 18, 21, etc.)
2. Wait some amount of time in any given relationship (1 week, 1 month, 6 months, etc.)
3. Wait for some 'event' (fall in love, move in together, engagement, marriage, etc.)

So what category is most important and why? The category that really got me thinking about this was those who believe you should wait for marriage. I used to think this was a good idea, but I have started to notice that people may rush into marriage just for 'permission' to have sex. Someone may say how strong they were to wait until they got married, but if they got married at 18 they really didn't wait that long (at least not compared to some), and getting married at 18 is chalk full of potential problems in the future. And take my Uncle as an example - he didn't get married until he was almost 40, so is it realistic for someone to wait that long? How many people have waited until marriage AFTER their early twenties? I would actually offer that it is dangerous to wait too long if it is something you are craving. Look at the unusually high percentage of selebate priests who have fallen into very bad sexaul traps - is it possible this is partially caused by depriving your body of something it needs for so many years? On the other hand, having sex too early or with too many partners has some serious dangers as well. So where is that happy median???

JJ (trentt not Trent!)

Look at the unusually high percentage of selebate priests who have fallen into very bad sexaul traps

Some clarification is necessary here: I'm assuming you are referring to the priests who have molested children. First, it is not an "unusually high percentage" and second, they are pedophiles. There has never been a proven psychological link between celibacy and pedophilia.

Chris

I think it would depend on the parties involved, and how strong their beliefes are.

Personally, I say sex does not age well. If it feels right, go for it.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Wait until you're at least of legal age, especially if your partner is older than you are. Don't want to get them into any legal troubles over something you consent to, right?

I am a firm believer that if you are too embarrassed to walk into a store and purchase condoms, you are not mature enough to have sex. If its something you're embarrassed about, ashamed about, or afraid of "getting in trouble" over it, you're probably not ready either.

other than that, you've got the basic "if you don't feel ready emotionally, you aren't ready."

also, I think that it being with someone you've dated for a while is probably a good thing. Your first time is something you won't ever forget, so you want it to be a good experience, and its more likely to be a good experience if your partner actually cares about your experience as well as his/her own.

because people are getting married later and later in life now, I don't think waiting for marriage is overly practical, but hey, if that's what someone wants to do, then that's their choice.

I guess what it all comes down to is that we have to make our own choices, but I think this is something that needs to be carefully considered rather than something done on impulse, if only to make sure protection is readily available.