stompthatdisc

Classic accuracy gear

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice about gear choices for classic accuracy.

What container have you chosen and why?

Ditto for your main - Foil, Classic, Zero or something else, and why?

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

T-10, make your target the ground, it'll get you there almost every time!:P:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Lots of people here jump classic accuracy and most of them have similar choices of gear:
Containers:
- PdF`s Atom Axis
- NAA`s Centaurus
or some copy of it.
Mains:
- 80-90% jump NAA`s Parafoil
- the rest jump Eiff`s Classic and PdD Profil.
PD Zero is new kid on the block so I don`t know anybody that jumps it. But Just yesterday I heard some good reviews about it.

Hope it helps...
dudeist skydiver #42

I know John Rich does accuracry ... hopefully he'll find this and post. I THINK he jumps a Classic when he competes, but he's pretty danged good with his Triathlon!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I know John Rich does accuracry ... hopefully he'll find this and post. I THINK he jumps a Classic when he competes, but he's pretty danged good with his Triathlon!

I don't really have anything to add. He's already got the canopy choices for accuracy.

The container doesn't really matter, in my opinion. Although there are some tricks you can do in construction, like locating the large harness ring a bit differently so that the suspension point changes, to aid your view straight down for tapping the disc with your heel. Specialty risers with a third leg for the brake line. Old-fasioned dowels of wood or plastic for the toggle handle. A split slider to allow the canopy to spread wider and flatter after opening. A pair of shoes with the heel shaved down to a point for touching the 3 cm disc.

As for containers, the pros like to have two rigs; one real skinny with small canopies for style so as not to cause any wind flow interference, and then the big one for the large canopy for accuracy. If you can only afford one rig, you've got to have the big one.

Those kinds of things would come into play once you're competitive at the national level. But for just starting out, buy an accuracy canopy, read John Eiff's accuracy pamphlet, go jump and start practicing.

The container doesn't really matter, in my opinion. Although there are some tricks you can do in construction, like locating the large harness ring a bit differently so that the suspension point changes, to aid your view straight down for tapping the disc with your heel.

Yes, accuracy jumpers are quite touchy about the suspension points. When you aim for the pad you want to look straight below you, and different ring position on the harness definitely helps. IMO that is the reason for pickines about containers.

Specialty risers with a third leg for the brake line.

Yeah, that one too. I wish I had a photo, it`s difficult to explain how does it look like without photo. Like really small triple riser....

Old-fasioned dowels of wood or plastic for the toggle handle.

Aha, that too.

A split slider to allow the canopy to spread wider and flatter after opening.

I had that one on old Centaurus I jumped. Got to be careful to not miss-rig it though... Or you are screwed.
The other option is large lip slider. Like coffee table size big. :S

A pair of shoes with the heel shaved down to a point for touching the 3 cm disc.

Oh, once you start to hit the pad, this is a must.

read John Eiff's accuracy pamphlet, go jump and start practicing.
This is the BEST advice. That thing has some excellent info.

Look, in the attachment is the photo I took last weekend. You can see:
- spread chest strap for spreading canopy wider,
- toggle grip (lines between fingers),
- shaved down heel.

P.S. one thing we all forgot to mention. You need some real upper body strength for steering these big-ass canopies. In deep brakes, sinking approach. Triceps and stuff.
I made couple of hundred jumps on it, but never aquired taste for it...
dudeist skydiver #42

I have a Foil and an PdF Atom, reason why: they were cheap!

If I were to buy new, the Zero gets good reviews from everyone I know that has jumped it.
Don't know what rig I'd buy if I had the money for a new one. PdF has crappy costumer service and loooong wait times so those are good reasons to not buy anything new from them.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Here's general question....Do you size your reserve to match your accuracy canopy ? If you were in competition and had to cut away, would you continue to fly your reserve for points on the accuracy pad ?

In general you want your reserve to be about the same size as your main, so that if you're in a two-out situation, the smaller canopy isn't flying circles around the larger one, collapsing both.

However, because the wing loadings are so low for accuracy, it would be hard to have a reserve as big, without a rig that would weigh over 30 lbs. and look like something out of the 60's.

In competition, a cut-away is probably going to ruin your spot for a good accuracy run. In that case you approach the landing area, but not the accuracy pad, with your arms and legs spread like an "X". That's a signal to the judges down below that you have a problem that prevents you from demonstrating your skill in shooting accuracy, and you just land to save your ass. Then you show the judges your malfunction, and they will grant you a re-jump. I had to do this once for a broken brake line, landing on rear risers, then pulling my toggle out of my jumpsuit with the broken line hanging off of it, to show the judge.

Reserve canopies are also built differently, and aren't going to be as good for accuracy as a main canopy that is specialized for that purpose.

Hi all. I found this post and rather than start a new one, here goes: I've seen a great photo on the net of shoes that have been modified for classic accuracy but now I can't find it. Can anyone help please? I want to take it to a shoe shop because they never understand what I want but "a picture paints a thousand words"...

Cheers,
Frank.

I've seen a great photo on the net of shoes that have been modified for classic accuracy but now I can't find it. Can anyone help please? I want to take it to a shoe shop because they never understand what I want but "a picture paints a thousand words"...

Here's the pair I used to wear for 5-centimeter accuracy. With the 3-cm dot these days, they would need to be shaved down even more pointy. The Gold Knights accuracy team guys used to have a shoe shop in Raeford that would do this customization, but I think that guy retired or passed away. Maybe they've got someone new now. Send the GK's a note and see if they can point you to someone. You would send him your own shoes, and he would modify them and send them back. You just need to make sure that the heels don't have any hidden cavities inside them - they need to be solid rubber.

Mine were mostly used for walking around and looking like an accuracy jumper, but they never actually stomped too many discs.

With the 3-cm dot these days, they would need to be shaved down even more pointy.

I think the "zero" is 2cm for some time now.

Also I`m not sure, but I think there is limit on how "pointy" the shoes can be. Migt be wrong on that one.
dudeist skydiver #42