Hummusx

Learning a new language

I was hoping to get some input from people on the best resource for learning a new language. English is my native language. I learned German the absolute best way (living there for 6 years), though I've forgotten a lot of it now. =(

Anyway, I want to pick up another language. I haven't decided 100% which yet. What I want to know though is what other people's experience has been with various programs. Should I pick up a software package? I've seen book/tape sets at the bookstore that are supposedly used by the US State Department to train foreign diplomats. My primary goal would be conversational...not acedemic. I'd rather be able to get around and find food and shelter than be able to conjugate every verb correctly.

Date someone that speaks the language. :P

Each person learns differently. I can't learn from softwere or self study... and now that i'm not in college, I keep missing class :S - depends for which method you have the dicipline.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

gotta ditto on the dating thing, I was taught French in school for 7 years! by appalling teachers - and came out unable to speak a word(able to read it pretty fluently though), I then dated a frenchmen(and can I just add in a serious recommendation for french partners there! :) ) for a mere 3 weeks - and was having fluent conversations with him by the end

Yep, dating. That's the way. I'm learning Tagalog and the Bicol dialect, albeit very slowly since we are on different work schedules. Learn the funny/bad stuff first, that way you can make fun of people in another language. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Anyone have suggestions other than dating? Somehow I think my wife might take issue if I chose to go down that road...

Anyone have suggestions other than dating? Somehow I think my wife might take issue if I chose to go down that road...

Oh WHOOPS! Uh, well...you could always pick the language first, then decide which medium you would be able to spend the most time at, i.e. computer, casette tapes, CD, etc. I'll have to go home and look at the CD-ROMs I bought so I can warn you away from them. Anything that promises more than one language on the same program is B.S. :S
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Short of getting your self a long hair dictionary as was mentioned. Rosetta stone produces a good line of tapes that are actually usefull in the type of conversation you are looking for. You won't learn how to say nonsensical things like "my pencil is big and red" but rather every day conversational and survival topics. Pimseluer is good as was mentioned but like anything worth a damn, it is going to cost more than a WalMArt language CD.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The only way to learn a foreign language is to live/be with the people who speak it 24/7. If you can find people that speak it as NATIVES, than it will be easy if you hang out with them and speak to them in the foreign language. Otherwise, you'll need to go to whereever it is that speaks the language.

I went to college for Spanish and learned (by far) the most Spanish when I went to Mexico for 5 weeks in the summer of 2001. Books, tapes, software, etc will not do it if you really want to become proficient with the language.

BTW... just about anyone who has learned a foreign language after the age of 13 or so will agree with me on this.

Good luck.
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

One more thing: if you decide that going somewhere for a time is in your future, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with some place in Mexico that will let you have a great time AND attend some classes during the day for a few hours. It'll really help with learning the rules of grammar.

(This is assuming Spanish is the language you want to learn. If it is French, I'm sure there are some good places for that in Canada and France.)
http://www.brandonandlaura.com