Skyrose7

Interview advice pleeease

OK, I just got called back for a second and final interview for this job I reeeeally want. My only problem is that I cannot speak in front of people and I am going to be interviewed by five people...[:/] Even at the first interview I got nervous, flushed and shaky-voiced(I guess I must have said something right though). ANY advice on how to get past these jitters? Any interview ideas or advice would be good too... I need this job!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

interviewers expect you to be a bit nervous. I think it shows that you actually care and really want the job. Just keep your cool and be honest with them. You'll do fine.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Before you go into your interview, you should try listening to some music in your car. Either a) somthing to pump you up and get you excited (your personal equivalent of the Rocky theme) or b) something to soothe you and calm your nerves. I prefer A, because I am shy and need to get myself pumped.

Anyway, while you're in the interview, EYE CONTACT is of the utmost importance. Also, don't try to answer questions too quickly. Show them that you're taking time to think about your answers.

A good, firm handshake is also important. Don't break their hand or anything, but no girly handshakes.

Make sure to ask a couple of questions at the end if you can think of any. If anything mildly intelligent pops into your head, ask it. They'll appreciate your interest.

That's all I can think of for now. Oh, and don't interrupt. I was interviewing someone for a position with my company, and he kept interrupting me. I did not call him back for a 2nd interview.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how it turns out!!

Kelly

Breathe deeply and just relax. They put their pants on one leg at a time, just like you do. That 'imagine everyone in their underwear' trick never really worked too well for me.

A few tips:
- don't be scared to say 'I don't know' or 'Could you let me think on that and we'll come back to it later?' or something of the sort. More impressive than babbling.
- eye contact is critical. do not talk to the ceiling. If a person asks you an initial broad based question, ensure that he/she gets the majority of the eye contact during your answer (if the answer is involved enough) but ensure you make eye contact with at least two or three of the other members as well. Preferably all, if time allows. For follow up questions, maintain eye contact with that person for most of the answer, using your peripheral vision to check the interest of everyone else. Don't let any of them go for too long without looking them in the eye.

- Body language. Twitching/tapping your foot, tapping fingers on the desk, fidgeting, etc are a no-no.
- 'um' is something a lot of people say to stall. Many people say it too often and sound like idiots. 'hmm' is preferable, but still bad form if done too frequently.

Good luck.

Beers,

Vinny
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Just imagine you are in the door of an TwOtter. As you open the door to the interview room, just pretend you are in freefall. You got it from there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You can tell them you're nervous. That's OK.

Picture yourself on jump run, take a deep breath and climb out. :)

Remember that you've seen the world from 13,000 feet, you know why the birds sing. The board is just a bunch of whuffos.

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

One word, three times: confidence, confidence, confidence. Answer what you know with confidence, and don't pretend to know something you don't. Most potential employers will respect a, "I honestly don't know, but I'm willing to learn."

The biggest thing I remember when hiring people in the distant past, was when they were polite, cofident and honest. Nervousness is expected. Heck, I was nervous DOING the interviewing. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I am the exact same with interviews.

These posts have excellent advise.
Handshake, eye contact, body language, go early and relax, keep a good sense of humor ... and be professional.

I always worried about what suit I would wear.

Try to be yourself. If you had to fake yourself the whole time working there it would not be much fun. You have to work most of your life, it might as well be something you like and semi-fun.

I hid smoking cigarettes for 6 years.

I did answer once....
Yes, I have been quite successful in the past. I will need to be updated as to your office proceedures regarding .

I did get the job. It was my first real job. I had been driving tractors before that. I had never taken a blood pressure in my life. I was in the medical field over 22 years after that.

~AirAnn~

I told her I was nervous last time and apologized. musta worked. I like the climbout and freefall idea.....keep it all in perspective. I will just make sure I don't wave off either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose