wesley

how many jewish skydivers here?

Just because you are born into a religion and are therefore that religion as specified by that religions rules, does not mean you have to follow that - or any - religion or its religious laws.

Man if even half the Levitican laws were followed in this Judeo/Christian country.. more than half the coutry would be stoned to death.

Anyway it wasn't an antisemitic statement. It was a sweeping generalisation based on sterotype

LOL sweeping generalisations based on sterotypes are where rascist slurs originate from man, didn't they teach you that :P

Unless you are a jew yourself, you have to understand a statement like that will upset a few people who are (not me mind, it's the sort of thing you grow up with so i'm used to it by now, although that was cool of you to apologise to others who seem to have got more upset by it).

You wouldn't go up to a black guy and say "whats up my nigga?" now would you? Same broad kettle of fish.

To the person that posted the original post, as you can see there are other jewish jumpers out there, but you shouldn't let a lack of them at your particular dropzone discourage you, we're all (generally) part of one big happy and supportive family out there :)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

have a look at this - if you replace the words "nudist" or "skinny dipper" with skydiver, and "nudist bathing" or "skinny dipping" with skydiving, you sort of have a few answers to whats going on in your head, maybe.

And if not, then you always have an article on skinny dipping to refer to, which will become useful if you stay as a skydiver long enough ;)

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/jewishskinnydipper/

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

You wouldn't go up to a black guy and say "whats up my nigga?" now would you? Same broad kettle of fish.

Nah calling someone a nigga is a racial slur. Making a joke about the sterotypical black man is something completly different and is probably something I have done. As well as Englishmen, Irishmen/Scotish/Christian/Jersey/Muslims/Men/Women. I dont distinguish. Wouldn't it be racist of me to distinguish!?!?

If someone chooses to take the piss out of me based on religious/ethnic/political or other views I wouldn't mind. In fact I would probably laugh. Actually thinking about it, it happens quite a lot and mainly with people who are my friends but its part of banter rather than offence. I suppose if you can't laugh at yourself well your pretty screwed.

I suppose if you can't laugh at yourself well your pretty screwed.

Man aint that the truth.. I do it all the time.. but hey.. I like self depricating humor...

I actually am very funny in person....

but looks are not everything

cetacean humor
I stay away from swoop ponds... It could lead to a HUGE splash... and when trying to crawl out people many try to roll me back in the water.;)
Far too many people... and even ( perish the thought) some skydivers seem to walk around with corncobs stuck up thier butts and STILL are humorless and unable to develop a sence of humour.

Oh and this post.. I have achieved a very funny status of POOH BAH.....

Nah calling someone a nigga is a racial slur. Making a joke about the sterotypical black man is something completly different

Is it? Try making one of those jokes you mentioned with a black guy or girl you don't know present and see what they think? Sure friends can laugh at each other, but that's why they are friends. Strangers might feel differently, hence the response of some on here.

and is probably something I have done. As well as Englishmen, Irishmen/Scotish/Christian/Jersey/Muslims/Men/Women. I dont distinguish. Wouldn't it be racist of me to distinguish!?!? If someone chooses to take the piss out of me based on religious/ethnic/political or other views I wouldn't mind. In fact I would probably laugh.

Best way to be, i'm the same, but others aren't and i can understand why.

Actually thinking about it, it happens quite a lot and mainly with people who are my friends but its part of banter rather than offence. I suppose if you can't laugh at yourself well your pretty screwed.

Like i said, that's cool, and yeah you have to be able to laugh at yourself, but when you make a comment to people on here that don't know you, they will take offence to sweeping comments based on stereotypes, even if you are joking.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

mmm Eric I not sure you are going to win favours with this one! I mean why do feel the need to comment on the size of someone's chest when the discussion coulden't be futher from that point!
Or are you one of those males that can talk to or about women unless pejorative sexual innuendo is involved?
Please don't insult a lively discussion with such vapid comments in future>:(

& for the record, considering the discussion, I am an Irish (by Irish I mean born & bred in Ireland) skydiver.. if a religious label has to be stuck on me it would catholic but incredibly non practising.

Erix