kevin922

T-Mobile Sidekick anyone?

So with the new number portibility coming into effect in a few weeks and thus giving me the ability to transfer my current cell # (with nextel) to any other carrier, i'm seriously eyeing up T-Mobile and their sidekick device. Anyone have any experience with the data capabilities of this device and/or the functionality of it?

Get a Blackberry instead - much better device. I have had a Treo and a Blackberry through T-mobile for a few years, and they work fine in the cities, but you will get NO coverage in outlying areas, so hope you have a tri-mode mobile phone. The Treo sucks as a phone - don't even consider it.

T-mobile's service is OK - the web browser doesn't work about 20% of the time. Make sure you have a cheap second phone iwth AT&T or Verizon to make calls in those remote areas.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Like everybody else already said, the Sidekick is GSM only so if you end up off the beaten path you won't be able to use it, at all. Keep in mind that the unlimited Internet costs $20/month on top of your voice rates.

Even with all of that, I might have been willing to buy one if the hardware was good. It wasn't. My major problems with the device:
- the screen large and constantly exposed, which means high breakage potential.
- the hinge feels really cheap.
- there is no telephone style keypad (you have to enter numbers by swining out the screen and entering them on the QWERTY pad; have fun trying to do this while driving)
- the screen is on the same side of the device as the microphone/speaker. It only took me one call to smear the screen with face grease. Icky and tough to clean. Granted, it was a hot day.