SkydiverFL

Advice Please / Starting Over

I need advice...

In March 2008 I will have been jumping, and licensed with the USPA, for 12 years. I have always jumped because it is relaxing. Now, I want to start doing more (wing suits, night jumps, etc.). Unfortunately, I stopped logging my jumps around #105 about 10 years ago. It always felt uncomfortable to ask the various sky gods to sign my log book. And, since I never wanted anything more than an "A" license, it did not seem like a big deal. And, honestly, in the 10 years I've probably only got about another 200 jumps or so (at the very max) but most of THOSE while I was overseas (nothing was logged).

So, now I want to do more in the sport. I just bought my first Pro-Track and a new SIM. I want to get better. I want to jump LOTS more. I'd like to have a "D" and maybe even a rating or two (eventually). It just feels like a really odd situation.

What should I do? Should I even worry about those 200 un-logged jumps? Will the USPA, or anyone else, really care that they are not all logged? And, what about signatures? If I log my jumps do they really need to be signed?

Wow. 12 years and I still have newbie questions. I guess that says it all.

Thanks, in advance, for anyone who has the time to lend some advice.

You are certainly not alone in this . I have run into a lot of jumpers over the years who's goals within the sport have changed, causing them to regret that they stopped logging. Usually their regret is centred around wanting ratings so they can earn money so they are really not interested in just repeating the jumps.
In your case you have around 300 jumps spread out over 12 years. I think the main thing you need to do is get more current. If you want to improve your skills and gain more licenses and perhaps some ratings, then I would just write off those jumps for licensing purposes. If I was you I would add 150 or so to my numbers (it's your log after all) but never apply for anything until your signed jump numbers are sufficient for the license or rating.
As for not wanting to bother the gods to sign your book, I'm sure you have been around the sport long enough by now to recognize that if someone really doesn't want to take the time for something like that, well, you just don't need someone to jump with that badly do you?

If you didn't log it, it didn't happen! When I come across people who say oh I have 1200 jumps but I stopped logging years ago when I had 200 jumps, the first thing that comes to mind is that one drunk dude you always see in a bar talking a bunch of bullshit to the ladies trying to impress them with his hero stories to get in their under panties and you can always spot them a mile away and every word out of their mouth is a lie.

I guess you should have logged your jumps, it would be a good idea to start to do so now if you want any ratings from the USPA. And no I don't mean sit down and start making up shit in a book all signed by you or your girl friend. Now if you can produce a real record such as a copy of manifest records you could get those signed off.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

2 vastly differing tones in the first 2 responses. Both have validity and the trick is going to be what your goals are. I would have to say that the 1st thing for you to do is to jump more and get a running log going. 200 jumps in 12 years, or about 16 a year, is not going to really have given you much to work from in terms of current skills other then hopefully having given you a level of "Air Aware" Short of that in many respects you are basically starting from scratch. You have an A license it sounds and no way of proving your currency as you were out of country. I know what the Sim says on currency requirements for an A license holder and at minimum I am guessing you will have to do refresher and a currency jump if you go to a DZ that does not know you. What you have to do will 100% depend on the DZ you go to as in nearly 20 years of jumping I have seen lots of approaches to similar situations.. Not my DZ or my call for you. Basically you are starting from the low point. Hopefully you can quickly get the skills up given you have some in air experience and go from there. Again 16 unlogged jumps a year for 12 years is not going to get you a lot of shortcust for the BS in a Bar reason stated..

You are going to be hard pressed to utilize the previous jumps for ratings as they are undocumented and unless you can somehow document them I would call them "experience" jumps.

Good Luck though and welcome back to the sport...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

First of all... Welcome Back.

As stated previously... you might as well right off those previous jumps. You have your memories and that's going to have to do. Start jumping your ass off and log every jump. You'll have those licenses and ratings before you know it.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

For all practial purposes (your stated objectives of pushing your own experience envelope) those 200 unlogged jumps are gone. You'll always have the fond memories of them, but nothing else. At this point, start logging again, and get them signed.

Now they don't have to be signed by the gods. Look at it this way, you're building memories and recording them in a journal. In addition, your friends are signing those memories, and in the years to come, you'll have a record of all the places you've been, and the people you've met. I've got "regular" skydivers and multi-world champion signatures in my logbooks, along with a couple of legends. Nobody ever has told me to get lost when I've requested a signature. Or a bunch of them if I get behind, as sometimes I do. Don't be intimidated by asking. Most folks are happy to comply. And everyone knows the requirements if you want to get ratings. No biggie.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

Minor point about signatures ... if you want USPA to recognize those signatures, make sure they include a USPA license number or instructor rating. USPA even recognizes jumps signed with pilot license numbers.

Muff Brother numbers, Rodriguez Brother numbers,Pelt Head numbers, Freak Brother numbers, night naked (can't repeat this in front of your mother) numbers don't count.

Now they don't have to be signed by the gods. Look at it this way, you're building memories and recording them in a journal. In addition, your friends are signing those memories, and in the years to come, you'll have a record of all the places you've been, and the people you've met. I've got "regular" skydivers and multi-world champion signatures in my logbooks, along with a couple of legends. Nobody ever has told me to get lost when I've requested a signature. Or a bunch of them if I get behind, as sometimes I do.

I agree with most of the posters about the missing logs...forget about them for now, and start logging fresh. I'd also suggest you do more than log in the Pro-Track. Those things gets lost, or data can become corrupted. Take the time to use a paper log book, and to get the needed signatures for at least a few hundred jumps.

I have 13 logbooks in total covering every one of my 4,700 jumps. It's seriously cool to look back at where I have been, and who I have jumped with. I skip signatures on most of the jumps now, but I still maintain notes about what happened, and I do have special jumps signed.

I still remember the first few jumps I did with Jerry Bird, and my fear in seeking his signature, but he was super kind about spending a few minutes with me, as have been all the jumpers who signed my book. I keep that in mind when new jumpers seek my signature, and I really appreciate that they consider me worthy of signing their jumps. Heck, in 25-plus years I have never encountered a single skydiver who wasn't pleased to sign a logbook or share a memory.

And each jump doesn't need to be signed by somebody actually on it. Any "witness" will do, so if you get behind at the end of a weekend simply sit down with an instructor or admired jumper at the end of the day and ask for a few signatures. Be proud as you do that, and be happy to offer up a story or smile about the jumps you made.

Skydiving is more than just jumping out of airplanes. It also about building relationships, and log books are the records. Welcome back to the sport, and enjoy your future memories!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

One technique that is time honored, but not done as much as it was in the past, was to take the logbooks to the restaurant on Sunday night. Most DZs have groups of people that have dinner together prior to everyone heading home. (A great tradition IMHO) While there, you can update your logbook and then pass it down the table for signatures from everyone present. In your case, as mentioned above, you'll need to ensure that the signatures are those of pilots and actual licensed jumpers.

Personally, at this point, I just like to have signatures from all present. But I'm not going for any ratings right now.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

Wow. Honestly, I was HOPING for something like, "Aw, don't sweat it. As long as they're logged, the USPA doesn't care about signatures." I kinda knew that wasn't the case already. Now, I EXPECTED a bunch of replies similar to, "You dumbass! Come back when you get a few hundred more legit jumps logged." I'm grateful for the supportive replies.

Ya' know, years ago I got sucked into the politics at the DZ I started at. Then, the next DZ was filled with a bunch of skygods. I guess this is why I kinda gravitated to the rut I did.

Thank you, everyone, who replied and for not chewing me out too much. I'll definitely be taking your advice.

Stay safe. Blue ones!

I'm sorry you stopped logging your jumps as they are pretty much gone now for whatever reason but I just wanted to tell you what an old time jumper told me about my log book. Your log book is a record of your time in the sport and a record for license and award purposes and what stuck most was that your log book should be entertaining to those who may read it after you are gone. I try to put pics and tidbits of info in mine all the time. Who was on the load. who was the pilot. Weather. All kinds of things. I have all my wrist bands from boogies taped in there with the dates. Shit, I haven't even gotten through one log book yet but its full of info and memories. Maybe my grandkids will find it an entertaining read. It should all be fun. Isn't that what its all about? P.S. Lindsey, if you are reading this from Alaska, sorry I called you an Old Time Jumper. Hope you make it back to Montana soon.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

FIRST AND FOREMOST--WELCOME BACK!!
It has always seemed odd to me that people don't want to log their jumps or quit logging them. I have always been overly anal about logging but thats just me. I like looking back, especially the really good ones and the really bad ones. I have a jump logged where a friend got terribly injured. I was the only skydiver who witnessed the incident and I wrote a detailed account of it in my logbook. His version of the event has changed radically over the years to the point where it seems some evil demon reached out of the ground and attacked him on his perfect approach and landing. I can refer to my version to remind me of how I saw it when it was very fresh in my mind.

As to your 200 unlogged jumps, they may not count for ratings but they DO count in experience and ability. Get a logbook that has enough room to actually write something in it and get detailed about each jump. Start the new book with a notation in the first couple entries about the missing jumps and then move forward. Each entry in my books include wind speeds, direction, landing accuracy, gear jumped, etc. plus the jump itself and all the "regular" stuff. Enjoy building the "proof" not for USPA or your DZ or anyone who may doubt you. Enjoy it for yourself!!!

SCREW the skygods and/or anyone who won't take the time to sign!! As for DZ politics and the whole "As The Prop Turns" soap opera. That's going to happen anytime you group more than one person together. Rise above it and grab some newbies and make their weekend by jumping with them and helping them to get better and enjoy this remarkable sport!! It is sooo cool seeing the lightbulb go on!!