yardart

Can I pack this?

I have a parachute in my loft that the placard is worn out and is not legible. It appears like someone other then the manufacture has re-stamped it with the information. The information matches the packing data card. The last reserve pack was done by a riggers packing school and I am assuming that this canopy has been repeatedly packed over and over again for training. This canopy is a Tempo PISA. My question is, can I pack this if I determine that it's airworthy or should I send it to a master rigger to have a look at?

PS. I've been a Senior Rigger for 10yrs and haven't seen this one.

I think if you want to be really tecnical the whole lable has to be ledgible. I've often seen where people have "reenforced" the existing SN DOM to perserve it's readability. A lot of people are happy enough to pack it if they can read the data and tell enough of the lable that they can clearly tell what it is. Often manufatorers will replace lables when they come through the shop. Give them a call if you think it's bad enough and it offends you.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Thanks for your response RiggerLee. My problem is I'm not sure how many pack jobs it takes to wear the ink off the placard on a reserve. The packing data card only indicates that there's only eighteen reserve pack jobs on this canopy. That's whats in question here sense the last time this reserve was sealed was from a rigging packing school and the packing data card my not represent the amount on wear and tear on the fabric. I don't think that this canopy is manufactured anymore and leaves me with sending it to a master rigger to have porosity and tensile strength tested,ect. Mostly I was using this forum to help me make a educated decision and see if other rigger have seen this before on a 10 yer old reserve with only eighteen pack jobs. Really the only time I'm offended over a canopy is when it doesn't preform as expected. like exploding on deployment. Thanks again for your input and helping me make the right decision that I think I'll let someone else make. :)

I'm not a rigger, but I'm a lawyer and a jumper, so take this for whatever you think it's worth (which I leave up to you).

I think you've already answered your question. If you already have enough uncertainty that - rather than just re-packing it immediately with no qualms - you hesitate and ask yourself (much less others) whether you should send it to a master rigger for testing, then you probably should send it to one. I'd predict a plaintiff's expert would say so. If the canopy blows up on a terminal deployment, do you really want to be in a position of having to explain why - under these circumstances - you chose not to send it to a master rigger?

Dear Sir,

Putting aside all the Technical procedures needed to confirm if this particular canopy is airworthy, You can read the label using this methods:

1- Using a Night vision device, and taking a picture from the label.

2- If You have an IR thermal device, You can do the same procedure.

3- You may try to make a picture with a still camera with Zero lumen, if you have no access to these equipment.

4- Perhaps the better choice for civilian personnel. Use a UV light (Black Light), employed to determine if a currency billet is false or not. Due ink´s reflective properties, You will be able to read properly the "Lost Data".

Hoping to have aided,
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

During the course of my practical, to become a Senior Rigger, I was handed a harness-container, with a round parachute attached to the reserve risers. There was no label what so ever on the parachute and an illegible label on the harness-container. I refused to pack it due to the fact I didn't know 'exactly' what I was packing. The DPRE tried to pressure me into packing it and I told him that as long as I don't know what I have, Which instructions would I use? He even offered to help me and I stood my ground. From all I read, prior to my practical, I was right and the DPRE finally, agreed with me.

Chuck

During the course of my practical, to become a Senior Rigger, I was handed a harness-container, with a round parachute attached to the reserve risers. There was no label what so ever on the parachute and an illegible label on the harness-container. I refused to pack it due to the fact I didn't know 'exactly' what I was packing. The DPRE tried to pressure me into packing it and I told him that as long as I don't know what I have, Which instructions would I use? He even offered to help me and I stood my ground. From all I read, prior to my practical, I was right and the DPRE finally, agreed with me.

Chuck

Wait, so you skated on having to pack during your test? :D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Chuck

Good for you, the DPRE was wrong.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals