Bodhisattva420

Argus 'Pin Check'

The general consensus is just the Argus cutter is the problem.

There is a quick fix and if Aviacom's oposition were true gentlemen they would facilitate in the best interests of safety. Many people will for the near future will be jumping without AAD's till there is a fix or they replace with another brand.

Fit the Argus connector to one of the opposition's cutters. But this will never happen.

I don't know it is that easy but it looks like a good idea.
I don't think other AAD would benefit from taking Argus off the market other than Cypres. Most Argus owners don't want to go true this again if they have to replace there AAD. The only sure option (imho) looks like going for a Cypres. For me, how save and/or good a MarS M2 maybe, there is to much risc it will be the next one, you can be sure in about 15 years or so.
For Virgil, I don't think there record is all that clean.

So why not helping Argus owners by replacing there cutters, I think most of them would be happy to pay for it, and be thankful they helped them out. This way the opposition maybe benefits in the future.
But is this the way it works? hmmmmm, I'm not to sure about it

Apart from the regulatory stuff it is quiet simple. You could even do it yourself if you have the equipment and materials and so long as you put shielding on. (Disclaimer:-DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME PLEASE!)

I think the objective is to wipe the new kids off the block so I doubt that other brands will help out.

Watch this space MarS M2 will be facing all of this in the future too.

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

>Apart from the regulatory stuff it is quiet simple.

Really? Matching voltages, firing energy and fusing limits is simple? I'm an electrical engineer and I don't think it's too simple. It's definitely doable, but it also NOT a slam dunk (i.e. just cut the wires off them and put a different connector on.)

>I think the objective is to wipe the new kids off the block so I doubt that
>other brands will help out.

?? Why would they have to "help out?" Argus could start purchasing Cypres or Vigil (or the functional equivalents from the same manufacturers) tomorrow. It's their choice.

>Apart from the regulatory stuff it is quiet simple.

Really? Matching voltages, firing energy and fusing limits is simple? I'm an electrical engineer and I don't think it's too simple. It's definitely doable, but it also NOT a slam dunk (i.e. just cut the wires off them and put a different connector on.)

>I think the objective is to wipe the new kids off the block so I doubt that
>other brands will help out.

?? Why would they have to "help out?" Argus could start purchasing Cypres or Vigil (or the functional equivalents from the same manufacturers) tomorrow. It's their choice.

But don't SSK own the patent on the CYPRES cutter?

>But don't SSK own the patent on the CYPRES cutter?

Well, not on the cutter itself; pyro cutters significantly predate the Cypres. They may have a look-n-feel patent on it, but not a functional one.

In any case, in the US, patents only last between 17 and 20 years. The Cypres came out in 1991 and the primary Cypres patent was issued in 1988 (covering both the control device and the cutter.)

(Useless side fact - the earliest loop cutter patent intended for parachutes I could find was filed in 1956 by Jo Smolders. Vigil owners may recognize his name.)