captainpooby

Free Mumia!!!

Okay....I'm confused. What is that?? [:/]:|

Mumia Abu-Jamal was convicted and sentenced to death in 1981 for killing a Philidelphia policeman (Daniel Faulkner).

I don't know all the details, but there are claims of witnesses that could exonnerate him. I don't know the history. He was a journalist, definitely not mainstream though.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

no.
Rage against the machine, the Beasite Boys and mad other musical acts and artists tried to raise awareness about this guys plight for a couple years in the mid nineties. By passing out little leafletts at their shows. Which had no good links to follow that I could see at the time, and furthermore nothing concrete to say much of anywhere other than... This is fucked up. Do something about it. I do remember over 90 cops protesting his release on tv at one point.

It's been years since I heard about it and all i know is that he sits convicted of killing a cop which may or may not be the case. Anything from sources that I'd side with an opinion on I've yet to see or here....

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Sorry for the language, but that piece of shit murdered a cop execution style. He was tried, convicted, go to www.danielfaulkner.com
Mumia is sitting in a cell, selling his books and hosting his radio show, while Danny's wife is now a widow.
Fuck Mumia. He should have been sent to the execution chamber long ago. (and for those wondering, I know Officer Faulkner's widowed wife, I met her at a police rally in Washington, DC, so yes, this is something that I feel strongly about)
Read some court transcripts, check some facts, Mumia is a cop killing bastard.

Sorry for the language, but that piece of shit murdered a cop execution style. He was tried, convicted, go to www.danielfaulkner.com
Mumia is sitting in a cell, selling his books and hosting his radio show, while Danny's wife is now a widow.
Fuck Mumia. He should have been sent to the execution chamber long ago. (and for those wondering, I know Officer Faulkner's widowed wife, I met her at a police rally in Washington, DC, so yes, this is something that I feel strongly about)
Read some court transcripts, check some facts, Mumia is a cop killing bastard.

Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!

Yep. Cop murdering bastard. We should have fried him long ago. He laughs at us from his cell.
Of course, the left wants him free. The french really want him free.
Pick your friends carefully.

I'm not a fan of the sit on the row for 20 shit at all... If he's guilty and tried and denied appeal, let em hang, fry, or poision through the veins in under a month....

What I can't get is how one could propagate a lie for that long and believe it and try to convince others of the same thing. I try to live as best as I can day to day and tend to want to believe others do the same.

Has Texas passed the death express lane laws yet?

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

You will hardly find a unbiased version of the story from the man's own webpage.

"his own website" contains things like court transcripts, reports of how much money was spent on his defense, the expert witnesses he hired, all verifiable facts, not hearsay, sure there may be bias, but Mumia is guilty (sorry Rage Against the Machine, you guys are incredible musicians, but dead wrong on this issue).
That you'll look into it more to get more facts is a wonderful thing to hear. I think that if more people would do that instead of thinking what HBO or a band tells them to think this issue might have been laid to rest long ago (pun definitely intended).
Free Mumia? Yes, free him from this mortal coil he inhabits.
(And btw, howdy, shipmate! I spent six years in the Navy as an Electrician's Mate, most of my time was on the USS Hunley AS-31)

Who Is Mumia?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mumia Abu-Jamal is an award-winning Pennsylvania journalist who exposed police violence against minority communities. On death row since 1982, he was wrongfully sentenced for the shooting of a police officer. New evidence, including the recantation of a key eyewitness, new ballistic and forensic evidence and a confession from Arnold Beverly (one of the two killers of Officer Faulkner) points to his innocence! Mumia had no criminal record.

For the last 21 years, Abu-Jamal has been locked up 23 hours a day, denied contact visits with his family, had his confidential legal mail illegally opened by prison authorities, and put into punitive detention for writing his first of three books while in prison, Live From Death Row.

His case is currently on appeal before the Federal District Court in Philadelphia. Mumia's fight for a new trial has won the support of tens of thousands around the world, including Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela, The European Parliament, Alice Walker, Paul Newman, Maya Angelou, Sister Helen Prejean, Danny Glover, Rage Against The Machine, the Detroit and San Francisco City Councils, Amnesty International, and many others. Mumia Abu-Jamal's fate rests with all those people who believe in every person's right to justice and a fair trial.

"I remain innocent. A court cannot make an innocent man guilty. Any ruling founded on injustice is not justice. The righteous fight for life, liberty, and for justice can only continue." Mumia Abu-Jamal , Oct. 31, 1998

Facts about Mumia's 1982 trial:

* The policeman was killed with a 44 caliber gun. Abu-Jamal's gun which he was licensed to carry as a night-time taxi driver, was a 38 caliber.

* The police never tested Abu-Jamal's gun to see if it had been recently fired. They never tested his hands to see if he had fired a gun. They have never shown Abu-Jamal 's gun to be the fatal weapon.

* No police officers present at Abu-Jamal's arrest claimed to have heard Jamal's "confession" until two months after it allegedly occurred. This was right after Abu-Jamal had filed police brutality charges.

* Abu-Jamal's doctor said that Abu-Jamal, who was unconscious, said nothing. He reported that a nurse found police with loaded guns pointed at Mumia as he lay unconscious in his hospital bed.

* William Singletary, a Vietnam veteran and local businessman, saw the whole incident and has testified that Abu-Jamal was not the shooter. However, the police forced him to change his story and intimidated him into leaving Philadelphia.

* Other key witnesses, such as Veronica Jones -- who now testifies in support of Abu-Jamal, were harassed into giving false testimony. Two prosecution witnesses were given special favors, including exemption from criminal prosecution, for their testimony.

Elements in an unfair trial:

* The Judge, Albert Sabo, sentenced more people to death than any other sitting judge in the US.

* The public defender didn't interview a single witness in preparation for the trial, and didn't have funds for defending a capital case.

* The prosecutor removed 11 qualified African Americans from the jury. He also argued for the death penalty because of Mumia's membership in the Black Panther Party, a practice later condemned as unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

* The racial bias of Philadelphia's courts has resulted in 120 people on death row, all but 13 non-white.

Forty-two

* The policeman was killed with a 44 caliber gun. Abu-Jamal's gun which he was licensed to carry as a night-time taxi driver, was a 38 caliber.

Further, Jamal's own ballistics expert, George Fassnacht, conceded in his 1995 PCRA testimony that the fatal bullet was not .44 caliber, and that it was most "likely" a .38. Although the D.A.'s officer offered in open court to let Jamal's attorneys test the fatal bullet, they refused this offer, and have never offered any alternative test results to counter the above evidence. Dr. James Hoyer's handwritten notation on a piece of scrap paper certainly does not constitute such evidence.

* The police never tested Abu-Jamal's gun to see if it had been recently fired. They never tested his hands to see if he had fired a gun. They have never shown Abu-Jamal 's gun to be the fatal weapon

As for the so-called "sniff test" (sniffing the barrel of the gun to see if it smells as though it had recently been fired) called for by Jamal's attorneys, Jamal's own ballistics expert testified that this is not an accepted ballistics test. As explained in 1995 by George Fassnacht, Jamal's ballistics expert, the so-called "smell test" has no scientific validity because it is completely subjective.
I would go on, every single one of these claims can be dismissed so easily as to be laughable.
Check facts, not myths, shipmate.

As far as fact and myth go, it's debatable. Both sides have their version. You, nor me know the true facts. He could be innocent or guilty. We may never know. I do find his case very interesting and will follow it now. You knowing family members of the deceased are obviously biased.

Hey, let's argue the JFK case next :P

Forty-two

Damn that grassy knoll shooter to hell!;)

On this note, there were some 'pictures of interest' that the JFK special that ABC didn't even discuss that were taken from the opposite side of the street as the Zabruder (?) film. :S

I love conspiracy theories.

I walk past the spot where Daniel Faulkner was killed at least twice a day. In fact, I can see if from the window right now.

Mumia Abu Jamal was found guilty. He file appeals, he went through the system, I see no reason to believe he is innocent. By the way, he was also heavily involved in MOVE. A militant black organization that made news back in the 80's after Mayor Wilson Goode firebombed the gun turrets on the top of their fortified compound in W. Philly and burned down a couple of city blocks.

I'm opposed to the death penalty, but let him rot in jail.

Saw a guy wearing a shirt the other day that said:
"Mumia Abu Jamal is sitting in a 6' x 6' cell.....he should be 6 feet closer to hell"

Thought that took some balls wearing that in center city.

I walk past the spot where Daniel Faulkner was killed at least twice a day. In fact, I can see if from the window right now.

Mumia Abu Jamal was found guilty. He file appeals, he went through the system, I see no reason to believe he is innocent. .

A lot of people went through "the system" and were found guilty in Illinois that were subsequently found to be actually innocent by people working outside "the system".

"The system" in Illinois was eventually found to be so defective that two successive governors put a moratorium on executions. Those in "the system" stenuously opposed the investigation into "the system"'s faults. There are 13 free, innocent men in Illinois that would be dead if "the system" had its way.

I have no reason to believe "the system" in PA to be any better than in Illinois. "The system" in Texas certainly has all the same faults as were found in IL. At least in IL the attorneys are expected to stay awake during a capital trial.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

One reason I'm opposed to the death penalty. But do you know the facts behind this case, John? He represented himself in the first trial. He participated in the selection of the racially mixed jury that convicted him in 3 hours.

He file an appeal, and that was denied. He requested a hearing regarding the denied appeal, and got it. He was then granted a highly unusual 2nd hearing regarding the appeal, bacause of the publicity. He was then granted an unprecedented 3rd hearing regarding the appeal, because of publicity.

Then....the commonwealth supreme court reviewed the 3 hearings, and again denied his appeal.

One reason I'm opposed to the death penalty. But do you know the facts behind this case, John? He represented himself in the first trial. He participated in the selection of the racially mixed jury that convicted him in 3 hours.

He file an appeal, and that was denied. He requested a hearing regarding the denied appeal, and got it. He was then granted a highly unusual 2nd hearing regarding the appeal, bacause of the publicity. He was then granted an unprecedented 3rd hearing regarding the appeal, because of publicity.

Then....the commonwealth supreme court reviewed the 3 hearings, and again denied his appeal.

I simply have little faith in "the system" to discover the truth in any case. I have no particular interest in this case.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Seriously, if you read parts of the transcript you can see that he tried his hardest to make a mockery of the court and get a mistrial. Reading the evidence on both sides really makes it clear that he is just grasping at straws at this point.

Look at the attached picture to see how I feel about this.

http://www.danielfaulkner.com/Graphics/TshirtBack.jpg