npgraphicdesign

A bit disappointed with UPT.

Quick back story: Went to Deland last August, and had my Vector II with me. Asked them if I could get the Velcro on the riser covers replaced while I was there as it was wearing out, to which one of the AFF Instructors/riggers said "we have a magnet mod for the riser cover, why not do that?" He then proceeded to show me a rental Vector II they had with the same mod and assured me it's approved by UPT. So, I said why not, and bought the mod for $20 dollars. Couldn't get it done there because of time, but took the number of the master rigger there and was told I could call with any questions and send it to him when I was ready. Got busy at work after I got home from my trip and figured I'd send it in sometime later.

Fast forward to a boogie in Florida at the end of January. Saw a UPT rep there demoing rigs and asked him if I could send my rig back with him. He said they can't do that (which I understand and didn't have a problem with it) but he'd call the shop at Deland to find out how long it take to get it done and ship it back to me in CT. Comes back and tells me that the magnet mod was never approved by UPT in the first place and they can't do that.

I'm not disappointed with the fact that I'm out of $20 dollars, because now I have 2 pairs of really cool magnets. :P What I'm disappointed with is lack of appropriate information. Why was I told by a rigger AT Deland (which as far as I know is the home of UPT) that it was an approved mod, if it was never approved? Most importantly, if it's NOT an approved mod, why was it done to one of their rental rigs and why do they endorse/sell that mod? Some better communication would've been nice. :|

The thread title should be "a bit disappointed with a rigger giving me bad info"

No reason to put this on UPT, unless they did actually do the mod to the rig you saw, and you don't really know who did that work, do you?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

They do have an approved magnetic riser mod but it is only for their V3 and Micron models. http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/retrofit/INSTRUCT_011___Magnetic_Riser_Covers_Retro_Kit___V3___Micron_Installation_15_51_59[1].pdf
Seems like the dealer at Deland got his models mixed up. Lucky you didn't waste your time and money sending him your rig earlier.[:/]

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

Why was I told by a rigger AT Deland (which as far as I know is the home of UPT) that it was an approved mod, if it was never approved?

That's the same logic as criticizing Ford because some random street mechanic in Detroit recommended an improper modification on a Taurus.\\:S
Owned by Remi #?

The thread title should be "a bit disappointed with a rigger giving me bad info"

No reason to put this on UPT, unless they did actually do the mod to the rig you saw, and you don't really know who did that work, do you?

Yes I do know. He said that the master rigger at Deland did the mod to the rental rig they had, and that's whose number I was giving to call and ask any questions.

unless the rigger who told you about it being approved is representing UPT, you are barking up a wrong tree.

BTW, just because it's unapproved, it may not make it illegal.

He was representing UPT and speaking on their behalf, which he assured me of. Sorry, I should've made that clear in my first post.

unless the rigger who told you about it being approved is representing UPT, you are barking up a wrong tree.

He was representing UPT and speaking on their behalf, which he assured me of. Sorry, I should've made that clear in my first post.

Dude, it's simple. One of a few things happened.

First, you either misunderstood him. It looks like you haven't been in the game that long...maybe you took what he said wrong.

Second, he lied to you. Did it ever occur to you that he WASN'T speaking on behalf of UPT; and he's not associated with them in any way?

Third, you never spoke to anybody. Maybe you just hear voices. I mean, you could be crazy...right?
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

He then proceeded to show me a rental Vector II they had with the same mod

They still have a Vector II rental rig at Skydive Deland? You're sure it was a V II, and not a V III?

Some of the older or dorkier V III's would be hard to tell apart from a V II if the riser covers were magnetic. I mean it would be easy for some people to tell them apart, but if you're not well versed in RWS (UPT) rigs, you might mistake one for the other.

Who was the rigger that told you this, or what name were you given to get this work done?

Why was I told by a rigger AT Deland (which as far as I know is the home of UPT)

As far as I know, there is no official connection between Skydive Deland and UPT. It is the closest DZ to the factory, and they may use it for test jumps, and the UPT staff may jump there (on and off the clock), but outside of that, they are seperate businesses, and one cannot speak for the other.

He then proceeded to show me a rental Vector II they had with the same mod

They still have a Vector II rental rig at Skydive Deland? You're sure it was a V II, and not a V III?

Some of the older or dorkier V III's would be hard to tell apart from a V II if the riser covers were magnetic. I mean it would be easy for some people to tell them apart, but if you're not well versed in RWS (UPT) rigs, you might mistake one for the other.

Who was the rigger that told you this, or what name were you given to get this work done?

Why was I told by a rigger AT Deland (which as far as I know is the home of UPT)

As far as I know, there is no official connection between Skydive Deland and UPT. It is the closest DZ to the factory, and they may use it for test jumps, and the UPT staff may jump there (on and off the clock), but outside of that, they are seperate businesses, and one cannot speak for the other.

Thanks Dave. The rental rig did say Vector II on it.

Once again, I could be wrong. Maybe I misunderstood, maybe the staff member was mistaken, but whatever the issue in communication was, it's still frustrating.

CHAPTER 136 APPROVAL OF PARACHUTE ALTERATIONS

7. PARACHUTE PACKS/CONTAINERS.

(2) The reserve parachute is housed in the upper
container and the main parachute is housed in the lower
container. Because the harness and container system is one
unit, any change or alteration to the main container could
affect the operation of the auxiliary/reserve container and
should be considered major.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As others have said, there is no direct relationship between Skydive Deland and UPT with the exception that we test our equipment there and some of our employees jump there. The information you received there (SD Deland) was similar to the information that you could receive from any dropzone. Riggers (in Deland or anywhere) may have a different view on what is allowed/approved and what is not allowed/approved as far as modifications go, but your best bet is to always contact the manufacturer directly.

We have exchanged emails, however, I would like to post UPT's official view on this issue here for everyone viewing this thread's information.

The Magnetic Riser cover modification for a Vector 2 is not something that UPT offers. There have been a few riggers who have created modifications on their own and while we do not endorse these modifications, we do not prohibit them either.

Mark Klingelhoefer
United Parachute Technologies

But, there are FAA approved modifications that AREN'T approved by UPT. Example, Ray Farrel's RSL.

The key word is "approved". If it is not approved by either the Administrator or the manufacture it is illegal.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals