BWHAHAHA!!! Advice for the Unemployed...!

Check out this link - :D

"Pursue a dream! Now that you have some free time, it's time to reconsider some of your past dreams and take the necessary steps to fulfill at least one of those dreams. Have you wanted to start your own business, skydive, learn the guitar, become a volunteer or learn computers? Potential employers will ask, "So what have you been doing with your free time?" Don’t just answer with the standard "I've been looking for a job". Tell an interesting story like: "I went skydiving for the first time" or "I volunteer my time to help troubled kids in my community". Telling an interesting story might keep the potential employer interested in you."

This is hysterical...agh......I CAN'T BREATHE!!! Augh! :D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Perhaps "I went skydiving for the first time" is a bit more palatable to employers than "I have some gaps in the work history on my resume because I went skydiving for the 1800th time."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Perhaps "I went skydiving for the first time" is a bit more palatable to employers than "I have some gaps in the work history on my resume because I went skydiving for the 1800th time."

hehehe

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Most employers look down on skydiving because they see it as unnecessary risk taking. To them, that translates to unnecessary risk taking in the business world and for their company regarding big decisions.

Why do whuffo's/bosses just not get it?!?! So frustrating to try and explain this to possible employers.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Hey I hope lots of employers agree with that, cos it's pretty much what I'm doing! ;) Was laid off end of September, having fantastic time so far. B| Am going to travel as many places as funds allow, and do the 'gap year' cliches. Can't skydive for the first time as such.. but hopefully for the first time in a few new places. (Umm Al Quwain this weekend)

(I'm sure the optimism will wear off when the money runs out and I have to look for a job though ;))

Here's how my interview would go:

"So what have you been doing with your free time?"

"I spend hours moderating the Dropzone.com forums. But, that's not really in my free time, that's while I'm at work. So, do you wanna hire me?" :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think my stance on that would be that employers would actually be thinking "Great, so when you die or become disabled due to your unnecessary risk taking, we're left high and dry, and our disability and life premiums will increase due to poor experience." But that's just the insurance professional in me speaking. And that's also why my boss has no idea that I skydive. :P:D

Kelly

Actually I have it on my CV in the 'other interests' bit.. at my interview the boss was more interested in asking me about skydiving than my work skills! He had actually done one jump at the same DZ a very long time ago.

(But then if they were a shining example of wise employers, we'd all still be there now eh ;))

Most employers look down on skydiving because they see it as unnecessary risk taking. To them, that translates to unnecessary risk taking in the business world and for their company regarding big decisions.

Why do whuffo's/bosses just not get it?!?! So frustrating to try and explain this to possible employers.

I actually used it to demonstrate personal responsibility, poise under pressure, and good decision making skills under time constraints.

I wouldn't put it on an application, but during an interview, if put in the right context, can definitely score you some points.