JohnRich

Guns & Political Correctness

Here is an example of how far some anti-gun bureaucrats will go in their zeal to suppress guns.

Associated Press:
"Court: School ban on shirts depicting weapons too broad"

"RICHMOND, Va. - A federal appeals court on Monday barred Albemarle County public schools from enforcing a dress code that prohibits students from wearing clothing that depicts images of weapons.

"The National Rifle Association challenged the policy on behalf of a student who was ordered to turn his NRA T-shirt inside out because school officials feared it could encourage violence..."

"The court said the dress code is too broad and is likely to be found unconstitutional. Albemarle schools failed to show that Newsom's shirt or any other article of clothing worn by a student and depicting weapons caused any disturbance.

"The court said the policy is so broad that it could prohibit clothing displaying the Virginia state seal, which depicts a woman armed with a spear standing with one foot on the chest of a vanquished tyrant. It also could cover the musket-toting Pioneer mascot of neighboring Albemarle County High School and the crossed-sabres logo of the University of Virginia's athletic teams, the court said."

Source:
Richmond Times

As far as I know, no one has ever been injured or killed by the image of a gun on a T-shirt!

And what about all those pictures of men with guns in the school's history books - shouldn't they have been banned too?

You know what the sad part is.
If people took half the time that they do to fight these stupid issues about shirts, and instead spent that energy on there kids and there family we would live in a more peaceful place.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Are you expecting any of the folks from the other gun diatribe to be convinced of the validity of your position and change their minds?

Likely just hoping to get an anti-gun poster banned for an IBTL post ;)

Seriously though, that sort of thing is messed up. On the other hand, I got in trouble as a teen for a metallica shirt in highschool... catholics [:/]

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

A teacher wanted a student to change because she was wearing a Hooter's T-shirt. The student was allowed to keep wearing it because Hooters is a family restaurant. :S

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

This has been going on forever. My mother taught at a public high school for years, and my father worked as a principal for a while. They were always banning some shirt or some saying or some gang colors.

For example - let's say you're the principal of a high school, in an area that's seen some school violence and a few sexual assaults. Which of the following would you ban?

A shirt that said "proud cop killer"
Gang colors
Cursing
A shirt with a cute smiley face with a bullet hole in it and lots of blood
Handcuffs as a "fashion accessory"
Rings that could double as brass knuckles
Necklaces that could double as maces
Miniskirts with no underwear
Bikini tops (on women)

(and yes, most of those actually happened)

And so they'd ban something, and some parent would raise a fuss (i.e. "you can't keep my little Viktor from wearing his 10 pound sharpened steel cross! That's a violation of his rights!") and they'd un-ban it or come up with some other way to ban it.

Zero-Tolerance policies, by definition, ban the use of common-sense. The only people the rule can effect that a more applicable, well thought out rule wouldn't are people that haven't actually done anything wrong.

That said...

If I went to a public school wearing a shirt with a man crouched on a rooftop holding a sniper rifle and the caption "I love a parade." and a teacher told me to turn it inside out, I probably wouldn't argue -too- much. On the other hand if I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Browning Sporting Clays: What You're Hunting For" and I got flak about it, I'd probably have a little longer discussion with them.

I thought schools were there to teach you, not give you a forum for exercising first amendment rights. I disagree with selectively banning anything...only solution, mandatory school uniforms. How much crap would be eliminated by that kind of policy? A whole lot.

And so they'd ban something, and some parent would raise a fuss (i.e. "you can't keep my little Viktor from wearing his 10 pound sharpened steel cross! That's a violation of his rights!") and they'd un-ban it or come up with some other way to ban it.

And of course when little Viktor goes to school and stabs someone with said cross, those very parents would probably be the ones who blame video games and the NRA. [Yes, I watched as a victim's family blamed the NRA for him getting stabbed. That he was pickpocketing the guy who stabbed him had nothing to do with it. :S]
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Private schools can create any atmosphere they please. They can say "DO IT!!!" or toss you. Public schools, well, they're public. Government controlled. "Equal rights this and freedom that. Public schools have been a bad idea since day one.

I see nothing wrong with requiring lower garments [dresses, skirts, shorts] reach the fingertips. I see nothing wrong with requiring midriff and shoulder be covered. Personally, I like the catholic school girl look. >:( But in public schools someone will always disagree, and then it goes to an all or nothing solution.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Here's a similar example from last year of zero-tolerance gone mad.

"Imaginary gunplay backfires"

"Ten-year-old Hailie Whatley... was hoping to encourage her schoolmate with a role-playing game she called 'Civil War.' Designating herself a Confederate soldier, Hailie picked up an Oak leaf and pointed it like a gun at the other girl, the so-called 'Yankee soldier.'

"That type of play, according to Sumter School District’s zero-tolerance policy, earned the girl a one-day suspension and loss of her safety patrol duties.

"Assistant Superintendent Hannah Foster said people need to understand what it takes to maintain secure schools. The bottom line, Foster said, is everyone, including 10-year-old girls need to understand that certain behavior, actions and use of words will not be tolerated.

“'You’re going to be disciplined if you threaten to kill someone,' she said. 'That’s all there is to it. We take threats very seriously.'"

Full Story

Teach your children not to point oak leaves at others and say "Bang!"... Lions and tigers and oak leaves, oh my!

from Full Story:
“We look very, very closely at each incident. We follow the zero-tolerance policy that’s in place. This is just standard procedure,” she said.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. That paragraph seem a little bit off to anyone else?
witty subliminal message
1*

Public schools in Philly have a dress code. Not sure of the specifics but it's along the lines of dark slacks, blue collared shirt, no logos or pictures, etc.

I see nothing wrong with that. It elliminates jealousy and ridicule for one, and gets rid of having to deal with "questionable" propaganda.

>which is why I had purple hair and wore doc martens with my catholic
>school girl skirt.

Yep. We had to wear a shirt, tie and jacket, and shiny shoes. So I'd wear big logo t-shirts under my button-down shirt. So they made a new rule. Then I started wearing huge corduroy jacket/tents. So they made a new rule. Then I started wearing a string tie without the knot-thing. So they made a new rule. They never figured out that I could always stay a step ahead of any hard and fast rule.

They could have ended it all, of course, by changing the dress code to "dress in a manner that the dean of students finds acceptable" or something along those lines. But that would require more work on the part of the school; it was easier to just add a rule every few months.

the school rules said "hair must be in a tasteful style" and "shoes and boots must be closed toe and black in color."

My shoes were closed toe. didn't say anything bout them not being able to lace up to my knees.

My hair was cut in a tasteful style. just plain long and straight with bangs. it just happened to be bright purple. when the school argued to my mother that it wasn't tasteful, my mom said "sure it is! I think she looks cute!"

the school shut up after that. One of the teachers told me a couple of years later that they were advised not to make any changes to the dress code during the school year, because it left them opened to lawsuits from parents who'd bought their kids shoes that didn't meet the new code.

Fine with me. I only stayed a year. Just long enough to leave the school in complete and total chaos... I was one of those kids that half the teachers adored and the other half were referring to the school shrink.

"dress in a manner that the dean of students finds acceptable"

That is almost exactly the line on the only detention I ever got. "Dressed in a manner not within the spirit of the dress code"

For wearing tie-dye pants to school. :P

That was how Mr. Petar Zegura dealt with the one-step-ahead crowd. ;)

You know what the sad part is.
If people took half the time that they do to fight these stupid issues about shirts, and instead spent that energy on there kids and there family we would live in a more peaceful place.

You know what. If these STUPID ISSUES didnt come up no one would HAVE to WASTE their time.
Anyone who is afraid of a gun on a shirt has some serious issues.
There was a time when you could bring a gun to school and we didnt have lots of school shootings then.

Just a little news blurb (and de-hijacking the thread)

LAWSUIT DISMISSED...Newark, New Jersey's lawsuit against the firearm industry has been dismissed, though the city has until next March to re-file the action. Attorneys for the industry were unsuccessful in arguing that a lack of cooperation from the city in providing necessary information to the defendants should have prevented any chance of a re-filing. To track the various lawsuits against the industry, you can check a regularly updated "Municipal Lawsuit Scorecard" on the Internet at http://www.hsshf.org/legal/, Web site of the Hunting and Shooting Sports Heritage Foundation.

BRADY CAMPAIGN'S MISSING MONEY...The Federal Election Commission reports the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence just agreed to pay a $26,000 fine for failing to properly disclose money it spent in attempts to unseat two members of Congress during the 2000 election. Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation, reacted to the admission by asking, "Can you imagine the outrage that anti-gunners would be spewing if a gun rights organization failed to report more than $211,000 in campaign expenditures, especially if the money was spent to unseat some gun control fanatic?" In a news release about the admission, Gottlieb observed, "If nothing else, this disclosure certainly bares one more hypocrisy of the extremist gun control movement."

witty subliminal message
1*

Ah yes.. political correctness... from the same wonderful people that brought you the Soviet Union and the ideals of Marxist/Lennonism!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule