GARYC24

4 Track Recorders

I'm planning on getting one soon.
I'm not a professional, but want to play around with
recording some stuff and have fun with it.
Tacasm (sp?) is brand I may get $99.
Anyone got any experiance with them?
This is the small cassette tape kind with a few EQ knobs.
Any extended responses, e-mail may be better.
I'm going to go look at some this weekend!

Tascam is a good brand name they make decent products. I had a Tascam 4 track back in 92 that worked well for me for about a year.

4 track recordings aren't going to be the cleanest things you've heard but IMO are a good starting point before you decide to invest the bigger bucks in a reel to reel or digital solution.

Pvt Pyle

Yeah, that's the way to spell it. Thanks.
I'm just gonna play around with gutiar, harmonica, mandolin, keyboards, keyboard has drum stuff on it. I guess will need some cables.
And I want to find out this weekend, if I can record track 1, then be able to listen to it when I'm recording another piece on Trk.2 and so on for all 4 tracks..I believe you can.
There's 1 for $100 and another for $250-$300.
Even tho i'm not gonna make an album (har har) I don't want to buy something that sounds too cheap (as in shitty sound)

However, I would like to put something together one of these years, that could be used in background music for tv, movie, video or whatever, maybe a educational cd of what not to do with a recorder! har har

You will be able to hear the recorded tracks as you're laying down new ones. I would also recommend getting the lowest minute tapes you can find because they are typically thicker than the longer ones and can stand up to the rigors of 4 track recording better. You can get excellent results out of a 4 track if the sounds going into it are good to begin with and recorded properly.

i got a tascam 414 when I went to korea so I could JOT down ideas.

its very easy to use but I grew bored with it! LOL

I didnt have a place I could keep it set up and just plug it in.
I was tired of tearing it down every time I wanted to jam! and even more tired of setrting it up before I got to play!
I used a cam corder to jot down Idea now! LOL

its very good if youre not too worried abou tquality of sound. (unless you get some real equipment to go along with it)

youll definitely have fun!

just remember with cassettes each time you play back you ruin some part of the sound quality
My photos

My Videos

I do everything on my computer with sonicfoundry and wave studio.. I got the programs for free through file sharing sites.. they have everything that I ever wanted for recording.. I run a mixing board into my pc and all my instruments into the board.

(edit)I like recording like this because it's so visual .. and easy + when I'm done I can have cd's of what I was playing.

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

I had a tascam 8 track recorder a bit more on the high end than 99 bucks but it was really quite an amazing machine. Mine had a pitch shifter and and a variable speed on the recording side. pan, master,reverb, overlay, and even a couple of effects for each channel. It also had highz and lowz inputs on each channel. I used it quite a bit and had no trouble with it at all.

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder

I use a Roland VS880, it's more money but it is digital and allows you to take full advantage of the fact that you can pong tracks, add built-in effects, loop, punch in, etc. without losing quality like you do in a 4-track tape senerio.

Cakewalk, SonicFoundry, etc. are also good stuff for computer multi-tracking.