quade

Red Rover Code

I must say its been fascinating reading this post and still not having a clue,
its nice to know that there is some real intelligence on this planet, and from what i can make out, there seems to be an abundance in this thread.

Sadly, this is where i have to leave... at least knowing i had a little part in it. B|

I have to agree.. I've read the thread from the start, not knowing anyting they were talking about. Just watching how their brains were working the problem and helping each other. Was cool!!

I still want to know what it says!! Some reference to Pink Floyd perked my interests alot. B|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

bmcd: You're assumption about what E is represented as is accurate (hope you don't mind the hint).

quade: I followed this thread for a few days not giving it much thought. When I saw the second clue, and decided to solve this little puzzle, it was about 2:30pm EST yesterday. That was the time when I figured out that the distributions of bits amongst the periods and commas was way to close to the distribution of letters in the quote that I advanced as being the translation for the first clue.

Based on that bit of intuition I just kept going, and it kept working out and there started to be too many things that fit for me to be doing it the wrong way.

I had the DVD code solved by 7pm EST.

So with breaks for driving home, and eating dinner, I'd say that it took me 3.5 hours from the time that I started trying to figure out the DVD message to the time that I had it. And I have to admit, I couldn't think of a better message to code onto the DVD once I had solved it. B|:)
And I used good old paper and pencil to figure it out too, while I was sitting in front of the tv watch simpsons.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

I am having one hell of a time trying to read the code on the DVD. I dont want any help I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I've decoded the clue but I think Im missing a dash here or there somewhere. Thanks.

This Is what I see on the DVD.

l-l--lll---llllll--ll---l
-ll---llll-lll---l-l--l--
ll----l---ll--ll--ll----l

I am having one hell of a time trying to read the code on the DVD. I dont want any help I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I've decoded the clue but I think Im missing a dash here or there somewhere. Thanks.

This Is what I see on the DVD.

l-l--lll---llllll--ll---l
-ll---llll-lll---l-l--l--
ll----l---ll--ll--ll----l

That's the message...if you got the letters right, it shouldn't be a problem. Put it all in one line for ease of reading and mind the spaces.

I think the "typo" may have come from this post:

Here are my thoughts so far:

I am convinced that space is "---"

our = -llll-llll--
I = ll---l
S = lll
A = -l-
N = ll--l-
E = --l
O = -lll
L = ll-l-l
this = ll----ll--llll---llll

Which has an error in it.

Yes it is "just a substitution code", but a variable character length one whose overall design is really pretty cool (even though it is apparently missing a few letters :S) For a couple characters I remember just saying, "aw screw it, I'm just going to guess the division is here, if it works it works, if it doesn't, I'll find out right soon" so my work has a few scratchouts and arrows all over it.

Yeah, sorry about that. I thought I was smarter than I was. Anyway, I finally finished it. I'll guess that it took me 5 hours of actually working on it, maybe a little more, but not 7.

Anyway, it was a
|-||-|-|-||---|||--|----||---|||--|----||----||--||--|----|-||||||

I enjoyed working together with you guys on that, and I appreciate that we helped each other without spoiling it.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I finally had time to deal with cracking the code yesterday, so took copies of the code and both clues to work. It took me 15 mins or so to find the right quote for the first clue. Then another 30 mins or so to crack the code and apply it to the first. Honestly, I didn't think it was all that tough. Once you find a couple repeating words (our, in, ), everything else falls into place neatly. I've always loved these kind of logic games though.

Mrs. Chad

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

Wow. This thread has over three thousand views. It appears lots of folks were lurking the code breakers.

Some of us are to stupid or lazy to do it ourselves. So we're waiting on you smarties to tell us the secret!! :P

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Wow. This thread has over three thousand views. It appears lots of folks were lurking the code breakers.

Some of us are to stupid or lazy to do it ourselves. So we're waiting on you smarties to tell us the secret!! :P

(to paraphrase Champu) And decrease my chances of winning free Legos? No way!
Oh boy, I hope they're aluminium ones like they put on the dvd...:)

They have new pictures of the disk on the Opportunity probe which just landed saturday. No hints yet, but let's have a look.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/002/1P128365104EFF0100P2205L4M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/002/1P128365137EFF0100P2205L1M1.JPG

Not exactly the highest quality images, but from the looks of it, it IS a different type of code, although it looks reminiscent of binary yet again... or perhaps braille..(sp)

[edit: addendum]

ll-ll--ll-llll-l-l!!!

Their method of solving it is quite a bit different from the one I think we all used - if you look at their clues, I think that their "double encoding" system makes it more complicated than it actually was.

Will there be another contest for the other lander?

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Will there be another contest for the other lander?

I doubt it. My guess is that since Mars has a really bad reputation for destroying robots they put identical discs on the two rovers.

I also think they would have put up some sort of notice on the web site by now if the second rover had a different message.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Their method of solving it is quite a bit different from the one I think we all used - if you look at their clues, I think that their "double encoding" system makes it more complicated than it actually was.

not really, all they are saying is you can convert the pattern into a series of octal digits, and then work on the digits as we did on the raw code. it would have made it a bit easier to keep track of if you were working with shorter strings.

I mentioned earlier that I thought the code might have been octal but how I thought they used it was way off :P

One thing I noticed in the clues is as of right now the Jan 26 clue is incorrect. They list:

Clue no. 7, January 26, 2004:
A, E, O, and S are the only letters represented by a single digit.

There is another letter that is coded by a single digit. I went the route of encoding the dots and lines into numeral form and used the numerals with the Carl Sagan sample to solve using the numbers and looking for repeating patterns (as mentioned above). I found looking at the numbers were easier to find a pattern as you had less bits of info to look at. i.e. instead of looking at 9 bits of dots and vertical lines I only had to look at 3 numbers. (my 2 cents)

Thanks to everyone on the forum, I was able to use clues on this forum in conjunction with clues from the redrover site to solve the puzzle!

One more thing, you can edit the PDF certificate to add your name to it before it prints out so it can be personalized. I edited my PDF and then printed it out on 8.5 x 11 photo glossy paper and it came out real nice. I think I will frame it and hang it in my cubby at work it should get some chuckles.

RR