Parafoil27

New Guy, Landings

I agree that you should be very cautious taking advice on these forums, especially on subjects that require first hand knowledge like watching your landings.

Get video of your landings and advice from an instructor or canopy coach.

In the mean time go the following site and watch this video. It can be burned to a DVD or watched from the site. No cost.

I use portions of this in my canopy course.
There is a section on landings that is very worth while. It includes excellent footage of good and bad landings with voice over explaining technique.

www.uspa.org/safety/fly_to_survive.htm

Sorry I'm not good at making clicky.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

When you want to have a clicky, use the url button under the box you type in. You click on it, paste/copy/type the url and then click the /url button. Then you've got a clicky. You can use the same technique to make bold type or underline things in your posts.
Granny
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

After watching that video and more at skydivingmovies.com I think i'm flaring too low.
I'll be able to talk to my instructor about it today though. Hopefully i'll jump # 9 and 10 today.
EARTH! Short bus of the universe,
since the year T+10.3 billion!

REV. DUDEMIESTER D.S.#120

OK here's the deal.

If both yours and Granny's profile pictures are correct, then you are bringing shame to our generation by having all this computer knowledge.

I would never admit this knowledge even if I was in possession of it which clearly I'm not.
Maybe it's because I'm always at the airport.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. (tic)
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

If both yours and Granny's profile pictures are correct, then you are bringing shame to our generation by having all this computer knowledge.

Hmmmmm...

I'm 39.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

OK here's the deal.

I would never admit this knowledge even if I was in possession of it which clearly I'm not.
Maybe it's because I'm always at the airport.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. (tic)

Miy picture is. I'm 57 and get a kick out of being able to help kids (of all ages) with computer stuff. It is sort of a necessity for me since some of the classes I teach are online.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Well, i jumped twice more saturday. The first jump was not really worth anything. The objective was for me to do two 360s and pull at 4500. The exit went pretty smooth. I did my first 360 to the right then started to the left but my goggles lifted up and the bottom frames were right in my eyes. I could only see a glimpse every few seconds as they were flapping. I looked at my altimeter and could just see the needle getting below 5000 so i pulled. When the canopy opened the end cells on the right side didn't fully inflate so i grabbed the toggles to pump the brakes and clear them up but only the left toggle would release. I grabbed the rear risers and gave them a hard yank witch fixed the cells. I held the left toggle at about half brake and turned into the wind with the rear risers. At that point i still had 4000ft so i messed with the stuck toggle for a minute and it came loose so all was good. On my landing i think i flared too low again. The second jump went great I did two good 360s and did some tracking. The landing was Great! I only took about 3 steps after touching down good and soft. Now before i get eaten alive let me just say i did the best i could with the situation at my skill level.

Make sure that the tip of the toggle just above the grommet is rigid. It shouldn't be bent easily. There should be no space between the horizontal and the vertical bartacks. That might be the reason why your toggle got stuck. That was an important issue with some types of toggles in the past.
If it happens once it might happen again. The Gear and Rigging section is more appropriate to discuss this problem. Blue skies ;)

my goggles lifted up and the bottom frames were right in my eyes. I could only see a glimpse every few seconds as they were flapping.

That happened to me on my AFF IV except I just pulled them under my chin and tried to continue the dive but my instructor told me to pull. I was able to stay calm and fix everything during the dive, but I'll be damned if I wasn't shaking like a leaf when I sat down afterwards to debrief! :D:ph34r:B|

CONGRATS!!!!

It sounds like a fun and productive weekend. I have been following this thread and felt compelled to post a couple of times but others got the info to you first. You should be commended on listening to the advice with the idea of taking it to YOUR instructor prior to implementing it. I would hate to see another thread turn into "160 jumps with 1.3333 wingloading".

Get someone to video your landings, anyone with a video camera on the ground. One of our young jumpers would not accept that he was only flaring half way until we showed him repeated landings doing just that. Now he still only flares half way but we no longer hear him complain that it's the canopy's fault!!!

Blue Skies & most importantly, SOFT LANDINGS!!

I'll see what i can do to get someone to video my landings. Don't worry i don't have any trouble admitting that it's my lack of skill keeping me from landing well and i realize denial only makes it harder to correct. I guess i'm off to sleep. If the weather is good i'm going to jump tomorrow.

I have a Rascal 262 (Advanced Para Systems) in my closet..it was my husband's (he weighs 230) and my first canopy...it's an F111, almost 20 years old and the flare is kinda crappy which is part of why it's in the closet!

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Almost 20 years old? Gee thanks now i feel better shocked] kidding. Send it to me. My GF wants to decorate a room in the house for me and wants to hang an old canopy from the ceiling! Oh well, if i can learn to flair this canopy maybe when i get to try a better one it will seem easy.