SEREJumper

Anybody from Chicago missing a custom Spectre 150?

All good points, with which I agree.
I was thinking about cases when it's clearly seen landing, or known to have landed, on Farmer McNasty's property. If he tells you to pound sand because he's got dibs, the law's probably not on his side.

I remember one case (details a little clouded with time) where McN drove out to the jumpers who landed on his property and parked his vehicle on one of the rigs. He then, at gunpoint, ordered the jumpers to leave his property. The incident was later resolved with a some diplomacy but I think the rig was still damaged. Sounds like armed robbery or extortion to me. Maybe not. >:(

So the canopy you found on Craigslist did in fact belong to Ladybug. We were competing at Nationals and she had to cut it away.
After the cutaway she pleaded with the dropzone to help her find it, but unfortunately since Nationals was going on they refused :(
She contacted the authorities and they set up a sting to catch the guy (and they did).
The police are shipping her canopy back to it's rightful owner.
Ladybug does not have a dropzone.com account and wanted me to tell you how grateful she is to you and everyone else who helped her get her "ladybug" back!!
It's truly amazing how skydivers look out for their own kind.
You have no idea how happy you have made her.

how did the police set up a sting? he really has no legal obligation to return it. my dz had to pay to get a lost cutaway back after it turned up on craigslist.

The laws vary by state/etc, but typically there is a process that must be followed when lost property is found. There are legal distinctions between "lost", "misplaced", and "abandoned", but a cutaway main would certainly not be deemed "abandoned" so duty exists with the finder.

Nothing has happened to sever the relation between the owner and her property.

that makes perfect sense. i wonder why CT, or other states, does not have a law like that. or maybe it does and the state trooper was wrong.

So the canopy you found on Craigslist did in fact belong to Ladybug. We were competing at Nationals and she had to cut it away.
After the cutaway she pleaded with the dropzone to help her find it, but unfortunately since Nationals was going on they refused :(
She contacted the authorities and they set up a sting to catch the guy (and they did).
The police are shipping her canopy back to it's rightful owner.
Ladybug does not have a dropzone.com account and wanted me to tell you how grateful she is to you and everyone else who helped her get her "ladybug" back!!
It's truly amazing how skydivers look out for their own kind.
You have no idea how happy you have made her.

how did the police set up a sting? he really has no legal obligation to return it. my dz had to pay to get a lost cutaway back after it turned up on craigslist.

The laws vary by state/etc, but typically there is a process that must be followed when lost property is found. There are legal distinctions between "lost", "misplaced", and "abandoned", but a cutaway main would certainly not be deemed "abandoned" so duty exists with the finder.

Nothing has happened to sever the relation between the owner and her property.

that makes perfect sense. i wonder why CT, or other states, does not have a law like that. or maybe it does and the state trooper was wrong.

Most states do, as I explained above. This includes Connecticut.
Connecticut criminal law defines "Acquiring property lost, mislaid or delivered by mistake" to be larceny when, "with intent to deprive another of property or to appropriate the same to himself or a third person, he wrongfully takes, obtains or withholds such property from an owner." See, Conn. Gen.Stat. § 53a-119.