RMURRAY

C182 technical question

for DZOs, pilots or others that may know...can a narrowbody C182 carry 5 jumpers or do you need to have the widebody? Is it a seatbelt issue or is there physically not enough room for 5 in a narrowbody. My DZO is thinking about either a widebody or narrowbody with wing extensions, STOL kit and 285HP. I am suggesting the widebody because I know it fits 5 okay and is common. Does anybody have a contact that might know???

rm

for DZOs, pilots or others that may know...can a narrowbody C182 carry 5 jumpers or do you need to have the widebody? Is it a seatbelt issue or is there physically not enough room for 5 in a narrowbody. My DZO is thinking about either a widebody or narrowbody with wing extensions, STOL kit and 285HP. I am suggesting the widebody because I know it fits 5 okay and is common. Does anybody have a contact that might know???

rm

If you are really going to do it go get a C-206 and upgrade the engine to an IO-550. Carry 6 jumpers with relative comfort and go like a home sick angel (for a Cessna piston). I don't think you would regret it. I know I loved flying it out at Skydive Monterey Bay.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

he already has a C206 with lots of hours on it so does not want to sink too much into it - but he has been thinking about the IO550. I guess a C182 is affordable for him as a second plane. Of course, we all want a turbine but that is not going to happen soon....

rm

he already has a C206 with lots of hours on it so does not want to sink too much into it - but he has been thinking about the IO550. I guess a C182 is affordable for him as a second plane. Of course, we all want a turbine but that is not going to happen soon....

rm

Soloy. Turbine 206. 410 SHP. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllllllllllllll......

Ok, I need to be by myself for awhile.

Sure, it can be done...should it? Hell no, Narrow bodies climb like a SOB, but they're tight. Even 4 in one is tight.

Mean Green owned by Forrest McBride (the fastest 182 jump plane known to man) is a narrow body, that thing climbs like its a homesick astroid...its cramped with 5 jumpers though. He has the 285, turbo charged, 3 blade, stol kit, wing extensions and the powered midget all installed.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Before he buys a 182, have him check out the Gibbsland Airvan. Relatively new plane made in Australia. Will carry 8 skydivers with ease, has Lycoming 540 engine in it. This month's issue pf "Plane and Pilot" does a flight test of it. It is used for skydiving, so check it out.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I'm sorry - should have expanded.

Regarding the question of placing 5 skydivers in a C-182 + pilot. I was referring to the max gross carrying weight placard of the C-182 (think its 996#s).

There was a wide-body C-182 last year with 6 skydivers on board in August which stalled & crashed... killed the pilot.

I'm sorry - should have expanded.

Regarding the question of placing 5 skydivers in a C-182 + pilot. I was referring to the max gross carrying weight placard of the C-182 (think its 996#s).

There was a wide-body C-182 last year with 6 skydivers on board in August which stalled & crashed... killed the pilot.

Really? Where? I know this one happened in JUNE in Cushing, OK. They had 6 total on board one being the pilot.

You will need to look at the STC for the mods you want and see if you can actually carry 5 jumpers in that plane legally. Hence my suggestion to not worry about the paperwork and just get another 206 if you want to carry 5-6 jumpers. Put the big IO-550 on it with 300 BHP continuous and you will be glad you did. It could make your primary 206 your "second" airplane.

But hey, it's not MY money now is it? ;)
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

this from a pilot/jumper in Ontario Canada.......rm

As for 5 people in a narrow body 182. There are several problems:

1) it is VERY tight inside the plane
2) weight & balance: gross weight: 2950 lbs. empty weight: ~ 1750 lbs. Payload: 1200 lbs. Worst case, we carry about 3/4 tanks, which is about 39 gals, which is about 235 lbs, which leaves about 1000 lbs for 6 people. That means that each person has to weigh about 166 lbs each, including gear. Unlikely to happen without careful planning.
3) seatbelts: an STC is available for four belts for four jumpers. You need to find one for five belts, or you need to get an installation approved on a one-off basis.

I have suggested to him (my DZO) the 206 mod to install the TIO540 --- 350 HP! Now that would be something else. It is very expensive though. Even faster would be the TIO540 in a 185.

rm

Well if you are going turbo charged make sure you get good info on how to fly jumpers with it. I know turbochargers can be pretty finiky if not handled correctly.

Check my website www.DiverDriver.com for info on flying different jump planes. We recently had someone commenting in the forums section about flying turbocharged engines with jumpers.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Dude, you have nothing on the Beech 99. You're slacking.:P

Dude, I've never checked out on a Beech 99 so if you know someone that would like to write that section I will include it. The site isn't all about me you know. ;) It's growing though. It's been slow as of late but I hope to make improvements to it this year other than just including the accident files which I'm also behind on in the Accident section. But they are listed in the forums so they are accounted for.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125