mkb0909

How much does a 2nd set of risers run?

I am fairly new to the sport and just bought my first Mirage rig. I want to be able to easily switch between a 170 canopy and a 190 depending on wind, weather, and location. I think all I need is a 2nd set of risers, and of course the 2nd canopy. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what a 2nd set of risers for a Mirage or Javelin runs? Thanks.

Mirage : $120 for regular, $150 for stainless
re: http://www.miragesys.com/price-list/
Sunpath : $138 for regular, $182 for stainless
re: http://sunpath.com/web_en/download/docs/replacement_parts.pdf

or you can find yourself some used ones in the classifieds for a bit cheaper...

basically doing a search is the key, regardless of what you want :)

I am fairly new to the sport and just bought my first Mirage rig. I want to be able to easily switch between a 170 canopy and a 190 depending on wind, weather, and location. I think all I need is a 2nd set of risers, and of course the 2nd canopy. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what a 2nd set of risers for a Mirage or Javelin runs? Thanks.[/reply

your gonna need a bag, bridle and pc too, unless you intend to change those every swap. Better get some toggles too.

I am fairly new to the sport and just bought my first Mirage rig. I want to be able to easily switch between a 170 canopy and a 190 depending on wind, weather, and location. I think all I need is a 2nd set of risers, and of course the 2nd canopy. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what a 2nd set of risers for a Mirage or Javelin runs? Thanks.[/reply

your gonna need a bag, bridle and pc too, unless you intend to change those every swap. Better get some toggles too.

Changing out the pilot chute/d bag takes less than a minute or so. There's really no reason to have a back up.
Toggles are part of the risers. If you buy new risers it will come with new toggles.

Typically you only switch canopies around for a very good reason, like not wanting to use a swoop canopy for wingsuiting or CRW.

If you're not comfy with your 170 in any and all conditions, stick with the 190 until you are. Don't try to switch canopies around this early in your skydiving career, you will not nearly learn as much as you would sticking to one canopy for a good while.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I am fairly new to the sport and just bought my first Mirage rig. I want to be able to easily switch between a 170 canopy and a 190 depending on wind, weather, and location.

The problem with your suggestion is that it's not a very good idea. People do sometimes switch between canopies, but that when they're switching between two very different canopies, like a small swopping canopy and a bigger wing for a demo, or a standard sport canopy and a CRW canopy. What you're proposing is switching between two canopies that are very similar in size (and I'm guessing performance, based on your jump numbers).

The impression I get is that you want to jump a 170, but are not confident that it will be appropriate for you in all conditions, so you figure that if you have the 190 at the ready, you'll be all set. The flaw in that plan is that in the real world, a 170 and 190 are not all that different.

To you, the canopy pilot, there will be a difference between the two, but in terms of the environmental factors you described, there is very little difference. Any conditions not appropriate for you to be jumping one, will remain inappropriate for you to be jumping the other. Furthermore, you never know what the wind conditions will be, or where you will be landing on any given jump, so to have a canopy that you are not comfortable with in all conditions in your rig is just asking for trouble.

Pushing the canopy size will not make you a better canopy pilot. It will not get you to swooping faster, and it will not help you to downsize faster in the future. All it does is risk your health and well-being, and if wither of those are damaged, that will certainly effect your skydiving performance, and not in a good way. You don't progress as a skydiver when you're sitting on the ground with an injury.

Keep in mind that even a twisted ankle can have you grounded for 4 to 6 weeks. Toss in a bad weather weekend or two when you heal, and you're stuck on the ground for two months. Even if you only made 3 jumps per week, that 2 months would equal you doubling your jump numbers.

Doubling your jumps on a bigger canopy will get you much further than pushing the issue fo canoyp size, and adding to the risk of inury. Furthermore, as previously mentioned, you will learn far more sticking with one size canopy for all your jumps. You will get to know that canopy inside and out, and you begin to recognize the effects of different conditions on the canopy more readily. If you are switching back and forth, you'll never know if differences in performance or behavior are due to differing conditions or differing canopies. You'll miss out on making some of the connections between the canopy and the environment that will help open your eyes to how the whole thing works.