tsalnukt

leg strap fold-over

I have a customer that had to take apart his leg straps on his paragliding harness for some reason and he has asked me to sew them back up. Can you do this sort of thing with regular E-thread or do you need to use a harness machine???? Thanks for your help.

I have a customer that had to take apart his leg straps on his paragliding harness for some reason and he has asked me to sew them back up. Can you do this sort of thing with regular E-thread or do you need to use a harness machine???? Thanks for your help.

If the paraglide harness is not TSO'ed, you could do almost anything. While I think I have seen it done with many passes of 'E', I'd feel much more comfortable with 5-cord (harness).

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I know that on skydiving harness's it must be 5 cord, Just not sure about the paraglider harness. I'm also thinking it would probably be alright and I agree that 5 cord should be used. I guess I'm just wondering if it would be OK as a last resort without any problems or is it a definite NO-NO???

I replaced the legstraps on one of my harnesses and I want to say there wasn't 5 cord anywhere on the harness. I used 5 cord to put them back together since I have a harness machine, but I want to say the bulk of the harness was FF thread. Don't quote me on this, but if you have a little time to wait, I have a sup'air and charly harness I can reference when I get home this evening.

You might get away with only E Thread, providing you put in enough stitches.

I have seen many chest straps with the end folded over and sewn with E Thread.
Consider the strength of 5-Cord as 40 pounds and the strength of E-Thread as 8.5 pounds, which means that you would need 5 stitches of E-Thread to be as strong as 1 stitch of 5-Cord.
Back in 1991, the first few Flexons were sewn mostly with E-Thread in bar-tack stitch patterns.
The problem was that bar-tack machines quickly wore out when they were asked to punch through all those layers of Type 7 and Type 8 webbing all day long.

In conclusion, you will probably get away with substituting E-Thread for 5-Cord, but will have to put in 5 times as many stitches, and it is debatable whether your zig-zag machine can gracefully punch through all those layers of webbing.

Now that we have concluded with the engineering, we can discuss the legal aspects of different stitch patterns. If you buddy gets injured flying into tree, you can be sure his lawyer will pursue you if your stitch pattern varies in any way from the factory stitch pattern.
Lawyers do not care if your stitch pattern contributed to the accident, they are just hoping you have deep pockets.

I don't have a harness handy to look at but I recall the webbing is fairly light. E-thread works for that type of webbing. My favorite stitch for that is to ZigZag just shy of the width of the webbing ... pick the foot up, start the stitch at the beginning and ZigZag right back over it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I replaced the legstraps on one of my harnesses and I want to say there wasn't 5 cord anywhere on the harness. I used 5 cord to put them back together since I have a harness machine, but I want to say the bulk of the harness was FF thread. Don't quote me on this, but if you have a little time to wait, I have a sup'air and charly harness I can reference when I get home this evening.

Yup, my Sup'Air foldbacks look to be 4 passes of FF thread. Good Luck :)

Yup, my Sup'Air foldbacks look to be 4 passes of FF thread. Good Luck :)

So then 8 passes of E Thread would have the same strength.