flipwithit

first rig questions

ive saved enough $$$ to justify looking for my first rig and i have come across a one on the classifieds here. i was just wandering what kind of specific things i should ask about the rig and is it common to jump the rig before purchase?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=99532&d=1

it does have RSL, AAD ready and he clarified its a g4 not a g2. is the 160-200 usually exit weight? im 180-185 before gear so that might be an issue...im no set on this rig, its just the ones for sale at my dropzone all say student on em :$

anyway, if the consensus is to go ahead and ask to jump it, what should i offer?

thanks a lot!

it does have RSL, AAD ready and he clarified its a g2 not a g4. is the 160-200 usually exit weight? im 180-185 before gear so that might be an issue...im no set on this rig, its just the ones for sale at my dropzone all say student on em

When the ad says the rig is 'made for someone at a certain weight, they're referring to how the rig will fit. Was it custom designed for a big beefy guy? Or a small little girl. In this case, they're probably referring to normal naked weight, and not exit weight.

Exit weight is appropriate for the conversation around wingloading. This rig contains a 190 square foot canopy, and your exit weight is probably around 220. That means if you were flying this canopy, you'd have a wingloading of 1.15. That wingloading can be appropriate as you progress in your jumps - but if your profile is correct and you only have 9 jumps you should understand that your instructors will probably not let you jump this rig during your student jumps. It also might not be appropriate until you have 30ish jumps, and progress down to this 190 very slowly and carefully, moving no more than one canopy size at a time.

A 190 is a very popular first canopy for a lot of people, but since you're a beefier guy than some, a 210 may be a better choice.

But yeah, it does look like a nice rig!

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

before leaving the DZ i asked my instructor what i should be lookin for, for my first rig. he said a 190-210 should do and i've actually lost ~10 lbs since then.

i was stickin my landings on the 210 but maybe the smarter thing would be to stack some more money and go do some testing before i buy...ill let this one get away from me. itd be easier if it didnt match my jumpsuit :P

Read through this.

Sparky

Buying Used Gear
If the budget says used, be prepared to talk on the phone a lot. If you're lucky you'll find just what you want at your local DZ, but more likely you'll find it through the classified ads in magazines or on the Internet, or from one of the dealers selling used gear nationwide.
By talking to a number of different people, you'll get a good feel for prices. If no one has what you want right now, keep trying. Most dealers get "new" used gear in on a regular basis, and classified ads change monthly. You can also post your wants on rec.skydiving and other skydiving sites on the Internet, including the classifieds on dropzone.com.
Before you buy any piece of used gear, either have a rigger check it out and then go put a test jump on it, or be sure a return policy is offered in case there's a problem or you just hate it. This is where buying from a private party long distance can get scary. Asking your local gear dealer to act as a middleman for the transaction can remove some of the risk involved in buying gear from someone you've never met. There are also several "escrow" services available online.
It's easiest to buy a used rig complete, but you may have to piece it together to get exactly what you want. Be sure that the container you buy is the right size for the canopies you intend to put in it. You can get this information from the manufacturer, gear dealers or a good rigger.
When you're buying in pieces, you need to know that a container should come with all handles, reserve toggles (the risers are part of the harness), reserve freebag, bridle and pilot chute, main risers and toggles, main bridle, deployment bag and pilot chute. Main and reserve canopies should come with lines, links and slider.
The price of used equipment varies depending on age, make and model and number of jumps. Buying older equipment is not necessarily unsafe and can be a way to save a couple of thousand dollars on your purchase. In many cases you'll be flying yesterday's technology, though, and this gear will probably not keep you happy for long as yesterday's canopies tend to be big and slow.
Just like cars, container and canopy make and model plays a role in determining price. In some areas of the country, certain rigs are worth less than they would be in other areas. This regional bias can provide you with deals if you know where to look!
The number of jumps on a piece of equipment can tell you how much useful life is left in it. A ZP main parachute can still be flying like new after 1000 jumps, while an F111 constructed main is just about a car cover by then. The ZP fabric has proven so durable it's not unusual to see canopies that have been relined two or three times and are still flying fine.
Number of jumps is not as reliable a gauge for harness/containers. The overall condition of rigs often depends more on the landing skills and maintenance habits of the previous owner. If cosmetics are less important to you than price, you can pick up perfectly airworthy gear at bargain basement prices by simply buying a somewhat battered looking container. Again, have a rigger inspect it before you jump it!
With some time and effort and an open mind regarding make and model, you can buy used equipment to fit almost anyone's budget. Like buying any used item, strong bargaining skills may be helpful.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Also, place a wanted in the complete rigs section. Specify everything you are looking for in a rig. I did that not to long ago and lucked out. I found my rig in less than a week and it is almost perfect for me. Good luck with your search.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

I have heard and read, but do not quote me on this, that anything from the mid 90's and up will be the safest bet when buying used. I will let the more experienced jumpers give you a better answer on that question.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.